SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple_gw

Grading your floor near the tub. Good Idea? I think so

johnfrwhipple
13 years ago

As a bathroom renovator here in North Vancouver I see countless examples of poor bathroom construction and improper installation techniques.

I'm finishing my daughters bathroom as we speak and this bathroom has been heated with a cable heat system (220 Volt). The Vanity will be a stand alone double that has four legs.

I have three little ones and they love bath time. Most nights is fairly calm but others it's a "Perfect Storm" and play time leads to wet tile floor. I decide to grade my daughters bathroom floor a hair 1/8" - 3/16" away from the door and entry as well as away from the toilet and under the vanity.

The cable heat was covered with Laticrete's Thick Bed Mud and I used some Platium over a primed (5/8" + 1/2") plywood subfloor. I then used some non modified thins set to install Ditra over the floor. This process took time as the floor was allowed to dry out between steps.

I topped the Ditra with a scratch coat of 255 and waited for "My Master". Bruce is so busy but promised me a day in my trenches. He came by yesterday and complained about my prep. He said it was too rough for the small 2" Hex tiles we want to install. He re graded my bathroom floor and the result is beyond my expectations!

Thanks Bruce.

Do any of you do this all ready? What do you think of the concept? I like the fact as well that I am building up the thermal mass of the floor enough to help radiate the floor heat. In total the floor has raised about 3/4" at the doorway. I shimmed out the entry and cheated the carpet height here and I believe the transition will be near seamless.

Fingers crossed.

John Whipple

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living