SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parafly9

Drainage Issues

16 years ago

I have numerous issues w/ a new house but here's a quick rundown of my question:

We have a new house which is on a slope. The neighbors house is uphill from ours. The elevation change from their property to ours is probably around fifteen feet or so. Their backyard, which flows into ours, is probably about a half an acre or so.

We bought the house in May. I expressed concern to the builder about runoff and drainage issues from the neighboring property, particularly because they had no lawn yet and the water would just flow into our property.

At our final punchlist, the builder announced he had installed a french drain on the property. I went to the house and he literally cut our bakcyard in half with a 3' wide trench that cirles around our backyard. It's probably a good 130' long. My problem was that he hydroseeded betwen the french drain and the house; and left the opposite side of that (literally half the distance to the woods) just stump grindings. It looks like total garbage. He told me I can't remove the drain or I will have serious issues. He also told me I can't sod or grass over the french drain - is that true? I was reading online and it looks like you could. Right now, the drain is actually above the ground by about 5" in a mound. I want to remove enough of the gravel to bring it do 3 or 4" below-grade and then loam and grass on top of it. Does this defeate the purpose of teh drain? Right now it just looks like hell because dirt has been flowing into it, the rocks are all brown and dirty, and the whole hill just looks like garbage. I want to grass the whole thing but do want to preserve some level of drainage control.

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!