SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsgurleygirl

Clay soil and poor drainage

catsgurleygirl
10 years ago

We have recently moved to new house, so everything is very new for us. There's a part in the backyard near the retaining wall where water will be standing for days and days after it rains. The rest of the yard a very soggy for a while but it eventually firms up. It has been raining here last night and when I looked this morning, there is just standing water everywhere in the area we just tilled. I'm afraid that while it may not be as bad as the water that stands for days and days, it's still may not be good enough for proper drainage. My question is, I understand that you can improve clay soil over time with the addition of organic material being tilled into the soil, but will poor drainage also be improved by that? Or am I just up a creek without a paddle. We had planned on doing several raised bed because we just felt that something's do better in them, but we really wanted to have some space plant in ground because I've read that somethings just don't do it well in raised beds like huge squash plants and such. The back yard also has two French drains, but I'm beginning to wonder if they're really French drains because I can't find the exit for them anywhere on the property. The person who built this house originally, spent a lot of money putting in the retaining wall so I would be surprised if he didn't have the French drains done properly, but I can't understand why I can't find where they let out. Anyway, just looking for some feedback and advice--thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!