SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
feedindy

Growing vegetables close to a Norway Maple tree

feedindy
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

I have a Norway Maple in my backyard that is about 80 feet tall. My vegetable gardens begins about 20 feet away from the trunk of this tree. The far end of my veggie garden gets full sun and had no issues of tree roots at all. But the part of my veggie garden closest to my Norway Maple is only partial sun and the soil has tons of roots from the maple tree. Not big tree roots just those tiny white roots that I can till through. So every year I till through the soil (about a foot down) before I plant here, but of course this is a lot of work.

I have read a lot of posts on this website about the much hated Norway Maple. I understand it is invasive and the roots take a lot of nutrients and moisture out of the soil. But I do not have any plants to cut it down. I just want to find something in my veggie garden that will work well in that spot. Lettuce and tomatoes worked wonderfully here and I used to have wildflowers here too that worked great. Carrots and radishes were stunted here though. Weeds love it.

Does anyone have experience with planting close to a tree like this and have suggestions for vegetables that work well there? Also, I would love to try rhubarb and asparagus. DO you think that would work? I am interested in these perennial vegetables because then I wouldn't have to till this area every spring. What about perennial herbs?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor