SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
threedgrad

Back and front yard design ideas needed

threedgrad
17 years ago

I am putting my house up for sale soon, after roof, painting, tree trimming, etc. But the backyard is bad. The dogs have ruined it and I was working so much I kind of gave up on it. I will be having the large old lilacs cut way down. They will flower better in the future. The back fence and one along the left of the garage could go - I would have a handyman make me a fence that matched the main length of board on board fence. he would work with existing posts and trees.

I am thinking of just really cutting big trees back, ripping out back bushes and smaller trees. Putting sod in blank area, maybe filling in ground cover in rear of yard. There is no real patio but I could have some pavers put along edge of sidewalk to expand that area more. Ideas? On a budget.

The landscape guy was here and he says to take everything out except the two big trees to left of garage and the two big trees at back of yard. He would take out the lilacs totally. Most of the branches are dead anyway. I only get a few blooms and they are so high up I can't even reach them.

In the front he wants to totally remove my burning bush (it is WAY too big for the space), heavily trim the 50' tall spuce (cut all branches 15' up the tree), and remove the bushes in front of porch totally also. I would plant some smaller Home depot ones.

The spruce suffered through the drought last summer. Granted, the weather was SUPERB last summer - 70's and 80's and sun almost every day even into September. But no rain or hardly any. I did water the spruce a lot. I just let the hose run slowly next to it for hours and hours.

The back half of the spruce up to almost the top of the porch are all dead branches. To balance the tree out the lower branches will have to be cut. The birds love this tree. I have many birds' nests in the roller shades attached above the windows on the front and driveway side of the house. And of course the cats love laying in the kitchen window with birds perching on the vine almost next to them. Almost as good as the fish tanks I used to have.

I really like the idea of pruning the burning bush into a tree. It is glorious in the fall when the leaves turn scarlet red. And I do like the privacy it gives the lower porch. I think I might trim it myself as you said and see how it looks. I am kind of worried this guy wants to rip out so much. I really don't like a bare house. In the back yard sure take out all the crap. I will have to carefully watch the sod because of my dogs. I am having the landscape guy do that last, after roof, after painting, after new fence. The trees and bushes really keep the house cool. My house will be cool in the summer on the 1st floor even with no air conditioning.

I will miss this house and the trials and tribulations it and I have been through. But with my education in architecture I have a strong respect for history and the special quality this old home has. New homes don't have those qualities (unless you are spending a million or more). I have tried to do service to this house even though many times I had no money to spend on it. I could sell it as is and walk away from it but I think it deserves a last best effort so it can shine for its new owner. Thank you.

{{gwi:38064}}
{{gwi:38066}}
{{gwi:38068}}
{{gwi:38070}}
{{gwi:38071}}
{{gwi:38072}}

Comments (9)