SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfanatic4

Growing Cucurbits, how do I avoid a SVB nightmare and more

daylilyfanatic4
14 years ago

Hello, I have grown cucumbers the past two years with mixed success. Two years ago my plants were healthy but didn't produce all that much (lack of pollination?) In August they got powdery mildew and fizzled. Last year my plants got damaged by slugs and the survivors were stunted and died of a strange disease that started as a small brown (dead spot) with a yellow ring around it and quickly spread killing the plant. This year I plan to go all out and plant straight-neck squash, Black Beauty Zucchini as well as straight eight and bushmaster cucumbers. My last frost date (90%) is April 30th and the safe planting date for tomatoes is May 15. I'm assuming thats about the same for squash and cucumbers? I have been reading through the FAQ and old questions about squash zucchini and cucumbers and I would like some advice. Everything I do in my garden is organic and I would like to have as little impact as possible safe options is what I'm looking for.

1) Powdery Mildew. This disease devastated my cucumber crop the first year I grew them and seems to effect every cucurbit plant in this general region. I've heard baking soda in water is effective is that true? I've used this before to prevent blight in tomatoes with good success and would like advice.

2) what killed my plant last year? (died of a strange disease that started as a small brown (dead spot) with a yellow ring around it and quickly spread killing the plant.) Sounds like early blight but thats a tomato disease. (I did have a small not very severe infection of early blight on some of my tomato plants.

3) Downy Mildew. I've read scary things about this disease how do I control it, besides with better air circulation.?

4) Squash bugs, Cucumber beetles Have yet to have a problem with them but probably will if I grow more squash is picking a effective control neem oil in an extreme case maybe?

5) SVB. This is what really scares me. I plan to trellis my cucumbers so they should be easy to inspect and I can wrap the base of the plant in aluminum foil if I need to but I'm concerned about my squash and zucchini. I have never had a problem with them but literature from Cornell suggests they are indeed in this area and I don't know what to do. Row cover is not going to work as my plants will be flowering by late June when the first wave of SVB is supposed to arrive. I can't only use hand pollination because of time constraints etc... so I need the bees and other pollinators. What should I do?

Thank you for your help!

Comments (4)