SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goylesgirl

Need help-embarrassing mess with potential (I hope)

goylesgirl
16 years ago

Here's the scoop, we bought a disaster of a Victorian about three years ago and after alot of hard work on the inside it is time to tackle the embarrassing mess we call a backyard. Although we have a very tight budget, we don't mind sweating and working on things over time.

My problem at the moment is twofold. First, there is the area right outside my kitchen window where I spend half my time, so I would like something pretty to look at instead of the garbage dump/weed farm it is currently is. Ideally I would like to have a koi pond here. We have young children, and this is an area that can can be easily gated off. This spot also gets the morning sun so I envision a seating area for coffee and such. Basically a more private area than the patio on the otherside. I just can't really figure how to lay it out. The space is about 22'x22', and slopes up about 4 feet to an old retaining wall, where the farthest end has completely fell apart. I think this might be a natural location for a small waterfall, but it is really close to the ugly chain link fence.

This brings me two my second design dilemma-the fence. On the opposite side, we put up some weathered privacy fence between us and one abandoned house and one equally uncared for property. I thought about putting the same up, but I don't want to lose the light, plus I like the neighbors on that side and don't feel the need to shut them out entirely.

The fence line gets part sun and progressively gets shadier towards the back. It is also uneven and multitiered.

My husband is very linear, and I am more organic in my design tendencies. I would like to make us both happy if possible. A privet hedge trained through the fence would be quick growing, compact and (hopefully) look neat, but I worry it would be boring. With an informal hedge, or some kind of mixed border, I'm afraid of losing too much space. Please help me figure out what to do.

The upper level of the yard on that side will be lawn. This area to the fence is about 28'x 40'. The other side of which is a large wood chipped play area with a playscape and small brick patio.

So, if I haven't scared anyone off, I would love any suggestions or insights that might help.

If you click on the picture below it should link to some other photos.
{{gwi:37883}}yard

Comments (6)