SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

What would you suggest I plant here?

grullablue
13 years ago

Ok, after I took a chance on seeds, I have killed the weeds, and am working on clearing the area for something new. I'm tired, actually, of messing with this area year after year. I usually plant annuals here, but what I would like to do is plant some sort of nice looking, spreading groundcover that will eventually fill in the area and look nice. I like creeping myrtle, but I don't want the vines going across my sidewalk. I would LOVE to have creeping wintergreen (evergreen, and I just LOVE this plant), but it is a very slow creeper from what I've heard. I want something that, once established, will drown out many of the weeds. I planted impatien seeds here this spring, thought I'd give it a try...all that came up were weeds, and a lot of them. So, I am clearing them out as we speak, and preparing the bed yet again.

Any suggestions on something to plant here that will eventually do what I hope it will? I have some ajuga (bugleweed) plants I need to move...would that be a stupid idea? And our local garden center has several more ajuga plants, all half off right now... I would love some ideas on things to look into. Perhaps something that I could even plant some bulbs in too, for a different look in there. I have two problems in this bed I need to address, and that is the downspout (we bought a roll up thing, the strap is still on the downspout as you may see in the pic, but it wouldn't stay on). And ground squirrels have invaded the front of my house. BIG TIME. Holes in this bed, and in my foundation planting bed. In this bed, up by the porch, there are holes where they are stirring up gravel/rocks from underground, so until I address this issue, I'm sure nothing will grow in that back corner, they'll keep ripping it up.

Thanks for any ideas!

{{gwi:18195}}

Comments (7)