SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goylesgirl

help me design around new wall and gravel area (pics)

goylesgirl
14 years ago

Hi, I when we moved into our house, this area (our upper back yard) was literally a wall of garbage from what must have been some demolition and debris being tossed down the hill. Since we've moved in, we put in a play area (to the right), got some grass to grow, built a real retaining wall and added a gravel area for the kid's pool and our fire pit.

I built the current wall from native stone and recycled concrete. It is far from perfect, but it is allot better than what was there.

Any ideas about this area would be great, but specifically I am wondering what to plant right above the wall. It gets morning sun, but is generally pretty shady. I was thinking of some ilex, that would look like boxwood for that english garden feel, but I would also like something that might disguise the irregularity of the wall. I am not too concerned about the hill for now, that will come later, but I do want to keep a path open for the dogs to use. The right corner is cluttered with extra stone and such now, which will be cleaned up, but I don't think I can plant anything there because of the roots.

I am also wondering about seating for the gravel area. I was originally envisioning a couple of adirondack chairs with the fire table in the corner, but now I think the slope down is too great and I don't think having the back of the chairs to the rest of the yard would feel very comfortable.

I have a couple of stone "benches" in the front and am wondering if they might be better served by being moved back here. (the front area needs to be redesigned anyway)

So, here are some pics...Again, any suggestions, ideas, even constructive criticisms would be greatly appreciated.

2008-area in progress

{{gwi:36953}}

2009-still in progress

{{gwi:36954}}

benches

{{gwi:36955}}

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County