SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plant_babies

question for Al re: potting mixes

plant.babies
17 years ago

I read the long threads about soil mixes, and had a few questions.

Here is your mix:

3 gallons pine bark

1/2 gallon peat

1/2 gallon perlite

handful lime (careful)

1/4 cup Controlled-release fertilizer

1 tsp micro-nutrient powder or a dash of manure

Here is my current mix:

4 cups organic spag. peat

3 cups Uncle Malcolm's growing medium (8.95 a bag)

2 cups cheap "premium" black potting soil (1.99 a bag)

1 cup perlite

2 handfulls crushed egg shells

tbspn or two of coffee grounds

I work on it, adding/not adding a bit of each until it "feels" right. It drains well and changes color when dry (very necessary for me) .... but it shrinks a LOT in 3-4" pots.

I am thinking, from reading your threads, that the peat is composting too quickly and compressing.

I am finding it difficult to get affordable perlite. A 2-3 cup bag is around $3.50.

what is your opinion on using rabbit manure as the 'manure' part of your mix? It does not need composting.

what is your opinion on throwing a bit of coffee grounds in?

I currently water once or twice daily (depending on our high-wind/desert temps), then water again w/ Miracle-Gro at 50% solution once a week (mainly because I got a lot of MG on sale)

I am thinking of switching to a time-release, but not sure how much to throw into the batches of your mix.

I will also begin to add gardening lime, and some kind of micro-nutrient, but was wondering if you know of any NATURAL household substance that would fulfill the micro-nutrient needs?

I began composting, and plan to use that in place of the cheap bagged potting soil ingredient.

Eventually I want to move away from the Uncle Malcolm's because it is very expensive -- possibly I will make a worm-box and do my composting that way.

Not sure about the bark fines -- around here it might be called "fir/pine/redwood mulch", and generally is a mixture of highly-varied sizes.

:)

Comments (4)