SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

A thought for growing non-native houseplants in tainers outdoors

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

You know, just a side thought for those of us living up here in the north..

Years ago when our parents and grandparents were using MG mix, Hyponex, and other bagged stuff, they basically grew native houseplants that they rarely if ever put outside for the whole summers. My grandmother never stuck hers outdoors..lol NO root rot, no knats and pests, she says...

Therefore, they had complete control over watering for these plants. No rain storms, nor extreme temps.. Most houseplants, native to our area if you call them, were only kept indoors. In this case, Mg might work for some. You can let your pots dry out as long as you want for these..

This acoording to my mother.lol

Now a days, look at how many of us grow plants not native to our areas, especially tropical,such as plumies, citrus, gardenias, and ect..., that we must put outdoors at the mercie of the weather elments. They thrive there after a long winter indoors.. Now they are also at our mercy to provide the right type of soiless mix to compliment the extremes in weather, especially ours which can be very long cool and rainy days, even in summer.

NOW, MG is not a good compliment to our now outdoors plants that do not like constant wet feet. If we insist on keeping them outdoors all summer, we must then think of soiless mixes that allow these poor babies to be rained on consistanly, and even dry out without killing them.

If I have anything in MG, it is plants kept indoors such as pothos, peace lilies, spiderplants,preyer plants, and so on. You know the kind I mean.. These never go outside.

I keep all plain ole native ones inside while all my non native ones go outdoors, ones that you typical grow in the deep south..These non-native ones are never in MG..No way Hose....

Thank God for this container forum. You learn of mixes that allow you to make the best of the outdoors,without scarificing your plants vitality and then eventual death. MG is no longer the choice for most of us, unless you are planning on sticking with just the plain ole indoor houseplant able to even take wet feet...:-)

Al's mixes are perfect for plumies and all my others...Thank God for the gritty mix, and the 5.1.1.

Thankyou Al for making life alot easier for those of us that are determined to grow the challaging plants of all kinds. You have made it work for many, such as I!!

Thanks..:-)

Who of us likes to be bored with with regular houseplants that seem to handle Mg anymore, you know, the ones I mean..lol

Mike:-)

Comments (2)