SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Groundcover and other plants over leach field

17 years ago

We have a new house that has a huge leach field (clay soil necessitated the leach field being large). It is in full sun all day. Right now it is just sand, no topsoil. It is not a pipe/gravel system. Instead, we used these things that look like mattresses, and lots of sand I call it the most expensive beach, 20k worth, that no one will ever use).

My question is about plantings over it. A Dunkin Donuts near us recently had their new leach field system fail because of the sprinkler system over it. Because our system is in bright, hot sun all day, I don't think grass will grow without being sprinklered. So I am looking for other things to plant on there that need little water and have a shallow root systems. The system is in our front and side yard (very prominent location), so I don't want a wild flower field.

Does anyone have any feedback, comments, etc., on what might work? I was thinking maybe prairie flowers, but don't know much about them (most of my experience is with irises, lilies...). Maybe also heath and heather? I have gotten conflicting information on how much water they require. Are there any drought tolerant ground covers?

My thoughts were to maybe lay the garden out in a pattern, with gravel walks and triangular planting beds. Adjacent to this will be a stone wall with roses, peonies and lavender. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (7)