SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
papercarver_gw

seeking advice about lowering the ph in the leach field

papercarver
16 years ago

Hi everyone:

I am looking for advice about a scheme I've got to grow low-bush blueberries on my 16'x16' leach field. There are plenty of blueberries growing in my general area (Newbury, MA - within a couple of miles of Plum Island and the ocean), although none in my yard. My leach field is (naturally) in full sun and the surface is very dry: its soil drains so quickly that the grass planted on top of it is virtually always dormant and has not been able to establish in many patches. I would like to replace the grass with lowbush blueberries, which seem to grow in the drier, scrubby areas around here. While I certainly hope to eat some of the berries myself, the main goal is to create a groundcover for the site that will provide some benefit to local the wildlife.

Yesterday I received my ph results from the Extension service and the soil tested at 5.8 - too high for blueberries. The Extension recommended I work in elemental sulfur (20lbs per 1000 sq ft) and "allow considerable time before planting berries". I am beginning to wonder what the likelihood is that I will be able to alter the soil enough to make the berries happy, and if so how much effort will be required every year to keep them going.

What I'd like to know from you, O Collective Gardening Wisdom, is this:

If I incorporate the elemental sulphur into the soil, at what depth should I turn it into the soil? Will I have to repeat the process every spring, and how will that work once the plants are in?

Should I incorporate some other organics, ie. peat or sawdust into the soils as well? Mulch with pine needles? Is it possible to actually drop the ph by .8 and have it be a permanent change?

Could I amend the soil now and still plant the berries this spring, or would it be better to amend now (or in the fall) and plant the berries next spring?

The final analysis: if you were in my shoes, would you attempt this?

Comments (13)