SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junebug506

Blossom end rot: now what?

junebug506
13 years ago

I'm growing Window Box Roma tomatoes in containers in Miracle Gro potting mix. I transplanted late so I am just getting my first fruits...which ALL have blossom end rot. I understand it means the plants need calcium (or a more steady stream of calcium). I water them once a day to once every two days.

My questions are:

(1) Do I actually need to do anything? Some forum answers say that the plants outgrow BER as if it's a kind of phase?

(2) If I need it, what form of calcium should I use? (i.e., I have eggshells, but could drive to purchase something at Wal-Mart if needed)

(3) How do I get the calcium to the plants? (e.g., if eggshells work, what do you do with them? Crumble them up and bury it near the stem?)

Apologies if this was covered before, search didn't turn up quite the answer I was looking for. If there is something I can do next year to prevent this, would love to know that too. This is my first year growing anything (other than houseplants) so I am appreciative of everyone bearing with me & sharing their knowledge.

Comments (10)