SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomacco_gw

Can I Plant or Not? Too Windy to Harden Off, and 48F at Night

tomacco
15 years ago

I got 200 feet of fence up around my 2000sq foot plot, and I'm ready to put out all my seedlings, tomatoes, etc. and plant seeds for watermelon, etc.

I think I'm supposed to wait until its 50F outside for tomatoes - I have about 30 tomato seedlings going out - but we had a late freeze and it keeps dipping under.

Thats the forecast.

The other issue is that... I have my plants in a plastic shelf in the window with lights going too, and I keep trying to set them out during the day to harden them off but... its so windy the plants blow off the shelf. Has been for several weeks. Right now there's a tornado watch and the wind would blow them all off the shelves. If I set them on the porch lower... Miss Piggie the Cairn Terrier will destroy them and short of fastening them down they'd still fall over. Every day I've set them out I've had to bring them in within a couple hours after plants kept falling over.

Can I plant or not this weekend? What should I do about hardening them off? Its three shelves of plants, and moving them around is a pain.

Comments (16)