SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

New to forum-some questions about potting material

jane__ny
14 years ago

I'm a regular at the Orchids Forum, but also grow some dirt plants. Stopped here to ask if there is a place which sells large containers cheap. Nothing fancy, the type nurseries use for potting shrubs and trees. I have a few trees I grow in pots which are in desperate need of repotting. I started reading all the threads on Al's potting mix and became curious as to whether I could use various orchid media in place of some of Al's suggestions.

This is what I have and wonder if this can be mixed with bagged potting mix.

Hydro pellets (small roundish clay balls generally used to wick moisture from a tray.

Coconut Husk Chips - these are pretty regular in size

Diatomite - an Australian stone-type media

Sponge Rock

Tree Fern fibre

Various sized bark

Sphagnum moss

I have a large ficus which is huge. Over 20yrs old and about 14 ft. tall, which I've topped many time. I do have high ceilings. I repotted approx. 5 years ago and also root pruned to maintain the pot size 22" pot. I'm not sure if I will attempt another repot as I need a forklift (joking) to get this plant repotted.

I have 3 Plumerias, which are about 4 feet planted in 3 gallon pots. I repotted them last year, they need larger pots.

My other tree is nameless. Bought it as a stick from QVC 8 years ago as a gift which was returned back to me because it was dying. Now its huge. This one bothers me as it seems to be pushing itself out of the 14" pot. The potting soil is terrible and it appears that this tree is trying to escape the pot.

I would like to repot these trees sometime this month but do not have time to find all the ingredients Al recommends. I have used bark mixes in my outdoor container plants for years to improve drainage. I have also thrown in some of the other things without any problem. But my outdoor containers are filled with annuals and die at the season end. I would like to improve the mixes for my indoor trees. It is major work for me to repot these plants and I don't want to do something which I will regret later.

Sorry for the long post. I truly came here looking for inexpensive plastic pots for these large trees and got side-tracked with the great information on potting container plants.

Thanks so much,

Jane

Comments (7)