SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mea2214

Blossom End Rot Again!

mea2214
15 years ago

I've read the FAQs here and been reading advice on blossom end rot for years. Most articles in the tomato forums focus on in ground plants which are different. This year I had a plan and modified my tomato potting mixture drastically. I caught a sale on those bales of Pro-Mix with those water gels and other stuff including dolomite lime. I mixed this into an Al like pine bark mix to help with drainage and added some fertilizer and more dolomite lime (but I was very careful not to add too much). Last year using the mostly pine bark mix I theorized the containers drained to quickly causing the plants to dry out and thus, have uneven watering which isn't good. Since that Pro-Mix stuff is mostly peat and with the water gels I figured the tomatoes would have more even access to moisture. And the mix does seem like it works in that it always seems moist and I was able to keep up with watering where the tomatoes haven't wilted once this year.

The tomato plants are now setting green fruit and they all seem to have BER. In the past the BER goes away after the next wave of tomatoes. I'm wondering if I should pick these now so the plant can concentrate on the next wave or let them ripen so the plant can get its circulation going. I really don't want BER on the second wave of tomatoes. I'm leaning towards the let it be plan, just letting the tomatoes ripen and then hope for the best. I am also considering stopping fertilizing. I've been fertilizing these with 24-8-12 water soluble fertilizer every week so maybe that was too much.

This really depressed me because this year I thought I had a viable plan. Next year I may build 3 or 4 earthboxes to get even better control over the soil.

Comments (7)