SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709406

phosphorus deficiency and Blossom end rot

13 years ago

Is it possible to have phosphorus deficiency and Blossom end rot at the same time?

I use raised beds in my vegetable garden, with a drip irrigation system. I use 1/2 gph drip line, daily on a timer, I use the Steve Solomon Fertilizer recipe, which so far has worked really well for me, never had a problem. I also am using the red plastic mulch for the tomatoes.

The only difference I have this year is that I filled my beds up to the top with planting soil (it's said to be well composted, a ready to plant mix) from our local commercial compost products company and some mint straw. My beds weren't completely filled to the top before. I am located in Oregon, I think they use too much wood to make the planting soil/compost and it is not composted as well as they say, when you grasp the dirt you feel fine wood splinters in your skin and it just does not feel like rich soil.

The beds seem to drain too much, to the point that my pathways are like sponges. The water just runs out of the beds. I didn't have this drain problem last year. I had to change my timer so it waters it 3 times 10 min with 20 minutes in between, and then again once in the afternoon, daily so the draining is not as bad. I tried to water less but then everything was getting too dry and wilted, seeds wouldn't sprout.

My whole vegetable garden is struggling this year, there seems to be a bad nutrient imbalance and I haven't been able to get it resolved. Almost two weeks ago I fed the Tomatoes and other vegetables with liquid Fish fertilizer because everything looked like starved, stunted growth, not healthy, I also have a lot of Aphids this year.

Now for the first time ever I have Blossom end rot and also see the typical purplish leaves you get with Phosphorous deficiency. I thought you could have either or, but both? Is that possible?

How would I fix it? If I add Bone meal for the Phosphorous isn't that going to make it worse for the calcium deficiency, which is the cause for the rot?

I am worried if I add Bone meal I'll make it worse for the rot.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you

Isabell

Comments (3)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County