SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelliegrl70

Need veggie garden fencing advice

nelliegrl70
13 years ago

I live in southwestern VA in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns., and my husband and I just planted our first real vegetable garden. I am so excited I can�t stand it! But I don�t want the critters to eat my harvest. We also have 2 starter blueberry bushes within our fence and we planted some different herbs here and there. Our plot is 10� x 50� and we installed 8 foot posts around the perimeter (they�re 10� but 2� are below ground). So far we have put a 3 foot section of hardware cloth (I think it�s 1" x 1") around the bottom. It�s 2 feet tall because we laid approx. a foot of the fencing down parallel to the ground to deter digging pests (we still need to cover it w/ dirt & rocks to help hold it down). We plan to finish the top 2 rows of fencing in a few weeks when we can afford it but nothing has come up yet- we just planted seeds the other day- so I�m not too worried about pests between now and then. We are very rural so there are lots of pests to contend with- deer, raccoon, ground hog, skunk & squirrel being the main ones I guess (I am new at this). My question is do we need something as heavy duty as hardware cloth for top two layers of the fence or can we get by w/ something cheaper? Also will we need something on top of the entire area as well or just over the blueberry bushes? Thanks very much in advance for any advice you can give.

Comments (3)