SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
synergyceleste

Vegetable Gardening Mentor in Las Vegas

SynergyCeleste
9 years ago

Hello all, I'm a newbie...
I am having problems getting Vegetables to grow in Buckets and I was wondering if someone local could tell me what I'm doing wrong? Come and look at it, maybe?
I have tried different planting mixes, powders, and potions but everything dies off within 2 weeks after being transplanted into buckets and put out in the yard, watering every 2 days, due to the top of the soil being dry. The roots never make it very far down into the bucket, and stop growing. I thought it was my starts from seed, but it happened with a tomato plant I got at Home Depot...that lasted a bit longer. When I took it out after it died, I noticed that the roots weren't growing.
This is my 2nd year here (the 1st year was worse) and I have just started my 4th batch of seedlings in worm compost (for the first time). I am not using fertilizer due to the heat. I have had to put burlap on chicken wire (inside the bucket) to protect from the sun as, if I expose anything to full sun it takes a dive within a couple of days... I read that tomatoes and peppers like full sun? Not in my Yard!!!

Comments (11)