SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spygrrl

Fertilizing tomato plants for roots/structure

spygrrl
18 years ago

Trying to salvage some tomato plants that range from "doing ok but rootbound" to "nearly dead". I need to get these into containers by tomorrow or I figure they're compost.

I know that later when it comes time to set fruit I'll need a different formulation so that I'll get better fruit instead of foliage.

But for now - trying to revive these plants and get them to grow up nice and strong - what kind of fertilizer should I use? Either the name of the brand you use, or a general numerical type (xx-xx-xx) would be great. Specific instructions on how much and how often would *really* appreciated. I hate to have to let these die, but last year was my first year growing anything and I don't know diddly about rescuing a plant.

Should I consider a seaweed or fish emulsion - and what's the difference between them as far as what they address? I've never used them though I've seen them mentioned relatively often. Which would better for my 'maters?

Aside from a good medium (I'm going to make a batch according to Al's recipe) and fertilizer, is there anything else I can do to give these little guys a fighting chance?

Thanks again for helping this newbie.

M

Comments (2)