SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

corner planting bed along rock wall...also, preventing weeds/wall

grullablue
12 years ago

I'll include a pic, this is my back yard, exposed basement patio door area. Eventually I WOULD like to landscape this, have an actual PATIO down there. As you can see from the pic, outside the window, there is a spot where the mower just can't get to because it's in a corner. So I'm considering putting a planting bed of sorts in there...maybe finding some more rocks to make a border for it (so it matches)... looking for input? I don't care too much if some plantings cover the window somewhat...I plan to have curtains over that anyway. I am IN LOVE with tropical looking plants, and am considering putting a musa basjoo banana tree in there, with maybe some yucca shrubs around it. What do you think? I already have a couple young basjoos, I found a local supplier to get another if need be. (I've done all the research on wintering/planting them in cold zones).

The back yard has been so neglected, I don't know if you can see how the brick is stained near the bottom, not sure if that can come off or not. When the house was built 10 years ago, the gutters were not put on until the following spring (it was finished in December). So, we had all the melting/runoff, and no grass yet either, so all that wet clayish stuff splashed up on the brick, all the way around the house. The backside is the worst.

Another question, we have a lot of rock walls on the property, similar to this. I knew nothing when we hired a guy to put them in. you'd think he would have had a clue and suggested it. No landscape fabric. As you can imagine, we have a lot of weeds coming up through. We spray sometimes, but usually just weed whack the walls. Is there a good spray that works a long time? Or, are there plants that we can put in the cracks that spread so well and rapidly that drown out the weeds? Sedum, hen and chicks, I don't care.... I would just like to have weed free, nice looking rock walls. Why he didn't suggest the fabric, I don't know. But, it's too late now. We have 5 rock walls on the sides and back of our house........all full of weeds.... Thanks for any input! here's the pic of the corner where I'd like to consider putting in a planting bed. Both for looks, and to fill in that corner space where I can't reach with the lawnmower.

Angie

{{gwi:32608}}

Comments (13)