SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emmaelice

HAVE: Willing to help one Newbie/ Maybe others can help too!

emmaelice
16 years ago

A year ago, I remember that one fantastic GW person started a thread to help out newbies. If other established GW traders can help, that would be wonderful. I am sure we all have extra plants to help out others just starting out~

Email me with a story of why you need plants.....may it be to help others out, you have lost everything.....or maybe you are just beginning to plant! I will only choose one person, as it is nearly the end of the growing season. I also love to help out family's with handicapped children...what ever your story may be...I would love to hear it and share what I have!

I will need your Zone, so I can send you Appropriate flowers for you zone!

My list of available plants at this time are:

Iris's

Canna's

Glad's

Purple phlox

Aster

black eyed susans

Sedum's

Snow on the mountain

Orange day lilies

No postage required!!!

I do hope others will see this message and take on a newbie as well!

Kathy

Comments (52)

• miss_daisy
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kathy,

a couple years ago, ( summer before last) a simaler message was posted and it went on for 30 something plus newbies i think. I was one of them and now that i'm more established i'd like to take a newbie myself. Although i don't know what will grow in other zones i do know what will grow in mine. So, I'll take a zone 7 newbie. I am one that always gardened with my children and now that they are grown, I still do. ( yes, passed on the plant bug lol) there is no better pass time than gardening with your children. you have that quiet time where neither of you is thinking about anything but "that plant" and it's great therapy.

So, here's what i want.

1 zone 7 newbie that gardenes with their child(ren) under the age of 5. you may email me privately if you wish telling me what age your child is and what thir favorite part of gardening is.

miss daisy

pssedg@peoplepc.com

• emmaelice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi guys, Ok....I have been contacted by a GW trader who would like to adopt a person or family in Zone 7.

Thank you Miss Daisy for your help! Please contact her with your story at: pssedg@peoplepc.com

Blessings~

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Have also for newbie or other/have others who want to

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi VLRON.... I know it's been awhile since you have posted this thread on Garden Web but I thought I'd give you a try. I did a search on "sweet shrub" which is how your post came to the top. A few years ago I moved from Florida (one too many hurricane) and just settled in Missouri. In my Florida gardens I had a sweet shrub growing which I loved. I haven't been able to find any sweet shrubs here locally. Any chance you would part with a few little starts or maybe cuttings that I could possibly root? I would be more than happy to pay postage for them or trade. Don't have a whole lot to offer at the moment other than lots of Christmas cactus cuttings in red and pink/white, and/or rootings from a plant that I don't know the name of....it's a tropical and when you run it through you hand or brush up against it has a pleasant cinnamon type scent. This is a plant however that would have to be brought in during the winter but looks great in a pot as it has alot of foliage. Great for shade patio or decks. If this is something you are interested in by all means shoot me an email. If not, no need to reply...totally understand as your post is from last year. Happy Gardening, Pam pamcrews@yahoo.com
    ...See More

I need a shrub...will you help me find one?

Q

Comments (5)
    Sounds like a really challenging situation. One of the problems with planting under bird feeders is that the hulls of the sunflowers are allelopathic; there is a chemical in the sunflower hulls that keeps other plants from growing. So first off you want to find a way to prevent sunflower hulls from falling into this spot, either with pans to catch spilled seed or using prehulled sunflower seeds or not using sunflower seed at all. Many variegated plants will grow more slowly, so it will be a while before they reach your optimal height. Your variegated willow may be your best bet. Juniperus scopulorum 'Sparkling Skyrocket' is narrow with white splashes. Not sure how tall it will get. Sambucus nigra 'Variegata' is slow growing, but is supposed to eventually reach 6-9 feet. Not sure on width, but Sambucus is pretty tolerant of pruning IME. Syringa vulgaris 'Dappled Dawn' has gold variegation and typical blue-purple lilac flowers. Also quite pruning tolerant, but lilacs by nature are slow-growing. I'm not sure how well anything will compete with two satellite dishes, however. ;>) Have you considered a bright-flowering annual vine on a pretty trellis? Scarlet runner bean, Thunbergia, etc. perhaps in a pot so that it gets taller faster? The flowers will distract from the bird droppings.
    ...See More

Need Help Now !!!!!Not after while it maybe too late!

Q

Comments (10)
    Well I tried to set up a new account using several different names. Each time I did it said we already have an account from your email address. Makes me want to SCREAM, you maybe able to access my account...but I'm not. I emailed them about 4 different times and of course everything is automatic and it said...your password has been sent to your email account. Well if it is I'd like to know where cause I've yet to get one...blah blah blah. Therefore I guess I'll try Image Cave like you suggested Noma but I hope I can even enter the images there....we weill see. LOL Marian
    ...See More

One of the BIGGEST mistakes I have learned from..Hoping to help others

Q

Comments (3)
    Good post. When I first started rooting figs, I put one in a container, not realizing the container was black and would attract heat. The poor little fig stayed alive, but only had 2 leaves for 3 years! Finally a friend told me to douse it really good with water, like 3 times, then put a diluted miracle grow over it. Then cover that black pot with foil. It was a miracle. I was frying it's roots, and didn't know. The little thing finally grew. It is now a big tree in ground. The best thing that happened was the tree did have FMV, but after the root frying ordeal, the FMV is gone. There is research on that topic, but I'm not into that, so all I know is, "It is what it is."
    ...See More
  • karinaangel
    16 years ago

Hi Kathy,

I am a Newbie, just signed up today as a matter of fact, with a sad little patch of garden that needs some help! My story is not as heartwrenching as others, but it does involve risk and struggle, and a beautiful abundant garden would be a wonderful blessing in my life. About a year and a half ago, I left my corporate job to pursue my dream of running my own small business. I started a greeting card and specialty gift company that I run out of my home. Interestingly enough, my card designs are based on a floral theme. Things are plugging along with the business, and I am also doing freelance graphic design and marketing, but there is still not a lot of extra money for things like buying plants. I am a single gal, so my income is all I have got. A few years ago, I planted my font garden, and it cost around $500. The space I am working with is approx. twice the size, so I am guessing it will cost twice as much. I think the garden exchanges are marvelous, but unfortunately, I don't really have anything to exchange at the moment. I am in zone 9, and look forward to learning lots on Gardenweb, including how to propagate the plants I have so hopefully one day I can participate in the plant exchange. Anyway, I think what you are doing is wonderful, and I wish you all of the blessings in the world!

Thanks!

Karen

• bigmama4ever
    16 years ago

hey karen, ive got your back, send me an e and lets get this party satarted...what do you think kathy, norma

• lisalovestom
    16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just found Gardenweb today and it is amazing! I can tell I'm going to be on the computer all day!!! :) I am very, very new to gardening. I would love it if someone would "adopt" me and help me out with accumulating plants. My husband and I just bought our first house about five months ago. We've been married 16 years and have always lived in apartments. It is awesome to finally have a place of our own. Because we have a pretty good sized yard I have gotten very interested in gardening. It is all I think about really! I have been trying to learn so much. Buying a house has left the finances pretty tight right now. There are so many things I want to do with our yard but we don't really have the money. Then about 3 weeks ago my husband found out his factory is closing next year. That means he'll be without a job and we will be without an income. Of course, the last thing he wants to think of spending money on now is plants! That is why I felt so blessed when I saw this posting with the idea of "adopting" a newbie and helping them out. I would be so appreciative and thankful if someone would pick me! Then hopefully sometime in the future I could turn around and be the helper! Thank you so much for being so generous!!

Bye,
    Lisa in Ohio

• emmaelice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A big thanks to Bigmama for helping Karen~ Ok, now we need someone to help out Lisa, she is in Zone 9. Please email her directly as my in box is flooded with emails from this thread!

Thank you Bigmama and Miss Daisy for your generosity!!!

Blessings
    Kathy

• lisalovestom
    16 years ago

Hi Kathy & everyone,

I just wanted to quickly post that I'm the new Lisa but I am in zone 6 not 9. I just wanted to make sure I got the right help! :) Thanks!!!!!

Bye,
    Lisa

• iheartroscoe
    16 years ago

I can help one new person from Zone 5, but I wouldn't be able to send plants until after my vacation in late September. Let me know if that works!

• emmaelice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HI All Newbies,

I just wanted to let all the NEWBIES that are posting to check this thread as much as you can. These established GW traders emails will come to me, NOT you. So please check this thread as much as you can so you are not left out. It is our goal to help each and every one of you~

Kathy

• kandaceshirley
    16 years ago

I have a large variety of perennials, flowers, berries, fruit trees - some of which I know how to divide, start, root and some I do not. I just joined GW about a month ago so wasn't really saving seeds until then. I have four children a 14 year old step-son, a 17 year old autistic daughter, a 15 year old son with asperger's and a 7 year old with severe ADHD (at the 95% on the testing). My daughter is very high functioning. Before we moved four years ago she and her dog used to sit on the edge of our lot which was right next to a field and that's where she collected herself. Since we've moved she hasn't found a similar place in our new yard. She's been going through a rough time. she's high enough functioning to know and realize there are things she'll never be able to do and to realize just how different she is from the other teenagers in her classes. She's just come to this realization in the last couple years. She's also worried about what will happen when she graduates from high school (she's a junior this year) because she doesn't have a plan in place and she always needs to have a plan and routine(she hasn't been able to find a job in the small town we live in and she believes she needs to do so). Plus her seizures aren't under control and she has almost a constant headache because of them. So what I have planned for her is to create a "chocolate" garden (milk chocolate lily, hot cocoa rose, hot chocolate rose, etc) next to the house (she's a chocolate freak) with a bench where she can sit with her dog like she used to when things get a little more rough for her or she needs to get away from her 7 year old brother (ADHD & autism do NOT mix). It's a little more isolated there. It's between the house and a row of hedges and kind of back from the street so she'll be able to watch whatever she wants yet still be in her own space. I'm not really looking for someone to "adopt" me, because I can probably hold me own in some trades (once I figure out how to divide, root, and collect seeds for everything I have). But more guidance on how to divide, root, and collect seeds from what I have so I can get the plants for her and maybe a few lilies for my son with asperger's - he really loves lilies and he seems to be the one who always ends up filling in for me when I can't be everywhere. He truly is a godsend. I believe God gave him asperger's so he can help interpret and understand his sister a little more and help her function in this world better, but he does end up with me depending on him too much and I know this so I just want to do something nice for him. Anyways, I plan on updating my trade list to include my plants that I don't know how to propogate yet when I find some time. I learn very quickly. Just need a little guidance and this seemed like a good forum to raise this request.

• emmaelice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good new Lisa from Ohio has been adopted. Thank you iheartroscoe !!!!

• lisalovestom
    16 years ago

I just came on here to let everyone know I was "adopted" and I saw that Kathy already got it for me. Thanks alot Kathy!!! :) It is awesome that you have started this post and that all you generous gardeners are contributing. All us newbies appreciate it alot!

Bye,
    Lisa in Ohio

• karinaangel
    16 years ago

Yes, thank you Kathy! What you have done is really wonderful in a pay-it-forward kind of way! You are fantastic, just as the GW person you remember from a year ago :) Once I get established you can count on me to help out others. I am super grateful to you and wish you abundance in all areas of life (not just your garden).

Karen

• emmaelice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This is wonderful, every one helping others. At this point the first person who posted, Whiist still needs adopting. She lives in Zone 7.......if anyone can help her I would be grateful, as I am sure she would be.

Blessings to you all for helping all of these wonderful people and your sharing of your gardens with others in need~
    Kathy

• spunky7478
    16 years ago

Hello, I am a newbie to the GW. I live in zone 5. I have just began my gardeing adventure and would love to help someone next season after what ever I grow seeds.
    I became interested in gardening after caring for my aunt who passed away in April. Aunt Sharon was my mohter like figure, and my best friend. Aunt Sharon loved plants and flowers of every kind. Now that she is gone I also have learned to love flowers and hope to be able to plant enough that next year I will be able to keep her grave decorated with flowers.
    I am not picky about what kind of flowers I grow but I really like prennials. I also hope someday to be able to get a start of a grape vien.

Who ever can help me out God Bless You
    Vickie

• sinbadsmom
    16 years ago

Hi Vicki, I'm in zone 6 and have a few plants to share if your interested, and if no one else has contacted you yet. Kathie

• MagickMare
    16 years ago

I'm a semi-newbie myself & would like to invite any newbies within driving distance to Raleigh, NC to check out the Carolina Gardening Exchange forum. We have a live "swap" scheduled for October 6th. The spring swap was my first -- and the Veteran swappers were/are awesome!!! I showed up with a plate of brownies and left with more plants than I could plant that weekend. They/we/I love getting newbies started, and I have found that gardeners are some of the most generous people!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Garden Exchange

• whisst
    16 years ago

good news guys! me and chloe got adopted by miss daisy! sorry it took so long to post ive been busy at work! thanks alot all and god bless whisst

• goozylucy
    16 years ago

Hi all,

I'm a real newbie. I just came across this website and forum today. I've pretty much just bought plants before and potted them and tried to keep them alive on our front porch for the last couple years. They usually only last a few months. This year I decided to try to start doing something else (by this year I mean last month!).

Here's my story. My name is Michelle. I was married to a very controlling man for about 4 1/2 yrs. We split up in Dec. 99 after he had an affair and decided he didn't want to be married anymore. That left me and my little dog all alone to start over (I was 28). He dumped me (pretty much literally) back home in Oklahoma with my parents 3 days before Christmas. On Christmas Eve my maternal grandfather (whom I was very close to) went into the hospital with pneumonia. I visited him on Christmas and that was the last time I saw him. I had bronchitis and couldn't go see him. He died on Dec. 29. I immediately moved in with my grandma to take care of her and so neither of us would be lonely. She was a gardener but hadn't been able to do it in years. We just talked about it alot. Fast forward 2 boyfriends later to 2001 and my grandma died 1 yr and 3 months after my grandpa. I bought her house had a great job etc. Then in Nov. 2002, on my nephew's 6th birthday, my dad died following a 3rd open heart surgery after having been on a heart transplant list for 4 yrs. I was working full time and running both my house and my mom's for a year or so. I met a great guy in Nov. 2003 we got engaged pretty quickly and planned our wedding. He was laid off right before the wedding then the week after our honeymoon (which was spent at my house), I lost my job.

Since I couldn't take care of 2 houses anymore we moved in with my mom in Dec. 2004. We've been here every since and probably will be for some time. We are now both working, mom is on disability due to fibromyalgia and we struggling daily financially. Mom has had pneumonia twice this year. She's 58 and getting worse healthwise all the time. I was never able to talk my ex husband into having children and so far my current husband, Gary, and I have been unable to have children. Since I'm 36 now and he has health problems as well, not to mention we can't afford a baby right now, I dote on my 3 nieces and 1 nephew. They are the light of my life.

So I decided to try to start flower gardening list fall to give us all something we can do together. I've been buying seeds off ebay as cheaply as possible to begin winter sowing. I bought some hyacinth and tulip bulbs 3 days ago. Things are going to look better in the spring, I have faith that God will see us through all the financial and health problems.

So I'm appreciate any help anyone can give. I don't know where to start on some of these projects I'm wanting to try so I'm willing to take any advice and have been scouring the internet looking for tips.

Thanks, God Bless and happy gardening to you all
    Michelle in Central Oklahoma (zone 7)

• bigmama4ever
    16 years ago

michelle, i could not pass you by im sending you easy stuff you can get started with, send an e, ill be sending mostly house plants cause our zones are so diferent, so if anyone else have zone 7 plants for her... norma

• goozylucy
    16 years ago

Thanks Norma. I'll be glad to have whatever you would like to send me. I've been ordering catalogs and reading a ton of stuff lately but there's so much out there sometimes it makes my head hurt :) LOL

Michelle

• west_texas_peg
    16 years ago

Michelle,

It will help so much if you will add your email address and the zone you live in to your exchange page. It helps people to know what sort of plants to send and they can contact you for your mailing address...mail sent through Garden Web does not always arrive.

I'm in zone 7b in Texas so some of what I grow will grow for you. Would you be interested in some lantana? Great for hummingbirds and butterflies. I have some coming up in a bed where it is not suppose to be and needs to be moved. I can also come up with some cannas if you would be interested. Have Purple Heart/Tradescanta that needs to be thinned out if you have a shady spot and Rock Rose seeds...it is great for our hot temperatures and sunny spots. I can come with Lady in Red and Coral Nymph salvia seeds.

Understand about the financial problems...my DH is 63 and lost his job in 2003...we have been having to rebuild our lives since and I had no money for plants, GW was a lifesaver for me!

If you can send $8.95 for priority mail, I think I can fill a flat rate box full for you.

God Bless,
    Peggy

• goozylucy
    16 years ago

Peggy,

I have some lantana growing in the back yard and one in a pot I bought in the spring. The one in the back is doing great..the potted one is still very small. All the other sutff sounds awesome.

How do I go to the exchange page and fill in my email addy etc.?

I can't do 8.95 from this check but perhaps next check when we get paid...around the 13th.

Michelle

• goozylucy
    16 years ago

I figured out how to do it. I have my email listed now.

Thanks
    Michelle

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Hello,I dont think I can write as well as some of the others, but I would like to know if someone would consider sharing with me. My son has been ill since he was born, and will be going in for surgery this fall, to have his ear reconstructed, hopefully to restore some or most of his hearing. He has severe allergies, like sometimes he has reactions two to three times a week..and sometimes we are lucky enough to get thru a week with out a trip to the dr.

With that being said...I was in a terrible car accident 18 months ago..My life has been turned upside down, my kids and husband had to feed me and get me to the bathroom..I can now walk from one room to the other, but I have to use a wheelchair to get out. I have a condition that is just like having MS, but it is caused by a trauma. I also have nerve damage in my arms and legs, and face.I also have five disks with injuries, that some day may require surgery. I will live the rest of my life in severe pain, and the Dr on Friday said he thinks I am about as recovered as I am going to get. I try to keep a positive attitude, there are so many out there with worse things...We moved to a new home FOUR WEEKS before the accident and still are living out of boxes. My husband has done his best to help me start a garden, he does the planting...it is the one thing I can still enjoy, even if it isnt the same. I would love to have some more plants, as he bought me a few plants and I did a few postage offers but the yard is still so empty.My husband works two jobs now to try and support us, and we barely eat, so I cannot ask him to buy plants for me, when we have two kids that have needs. So, if anyone has extra plants that they no longer want, I would gladly give them a good home.

Thanks in advance.

And for those of you that are reading this, woud you PLEASE think twice before using your cell phone while driving, the college student that hit me was on her cell, and we need to stop using them when driving.

• italysmom
    16 years ago

hi, i am fairly new, I was a junior in college, and i was having to drive 75 miles one way each day and back to go, I am a single mother and so i also had to work full time over nights, left very little time for my little darling... then a couple of years ago my headaches that i have had alot of my entire life got really bad, and I flunked out of college and lost my job because It caused me to have seizure like episodes, they could not explain my headaches, but they went away for a short time. then when they come back, it was really bad, i went completely blind and my mom thought i was going to die, all in a weeks time, well, come to find out i have a disease called psydotumor cebri, which acts alot like a tumor well the pressure built up inmy head so much that the fluid went and distroyed some of my optical nerves, the drs were able to get some of my sight back, but not enough that i can even drive, I live with my mother that is disabled, she has six herniated disks in her back, and her tendents are not right so she never knows if she can just fall down while shes walking, I am trying to make a nice yard for mymom myself, and italy. I am also trying to help get my grandmas yard to be a lovely place to be shes 72 and my grandpa has been through all kinds of problems lately. he can lift nothing over 5 pounds or his stomic will pop open and he could bleed todeath, so I also try to help them with anything they need. anyway, I dont want to complain as God has his plans, but, it is tough, I went over a year with no income at all, and finally just started getting social security so i am on a very limited budget. Thanks for listening to my story... Tammy

• fancyfrancie
    16 years ago

Hi
    I recently moved to the Chicago area (zone 5b) after just graduating from college. It has been quite a while now and I have not found a full time job yet, as such I have not been able to invest the kind of money it takes to get a beautiful garden going. I have a small back yard, and a community garden plot. Also I hope to become a garden teacher. I love, absolutly love growing plants, but I have very few, so if anyone is willing to take me on as thier newbie, I would be delighted! I will absolutly do the same for someone in the future.
    Thanks so much for your generosity,
    Francisca
    P.S. Thank you Kathy for starting this thread.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    16 years ago

We had this same thing a few years ago and it went up to over 300 postings! Unfortunately I don't have much I could send just now. Michelle, have you be "adopted"? I can send you some extra seeds that I have.

• lindiinohio
    16 years ago

hi Kathy, this is a great thread. i dont have alot to share at this time but if there is still people who have not been adopted im sure i could come up with a flat rate box of different things i have here it will be mostly common stuff as i am pretty new to gardening myself. Please let me know. thanks
    Lindi

• earthdragon
    16 years ago

Hi folks! I am a newbie that just joined yesterday when I found the site. I'm forty years old and I've finally started to pursue my dream of a wonderful back yard garden. I'm afraid I don't have any heart warming stories to tell you that can justify why I should ask for your help getting started. I can only tell you that since I was a child and use to help my elderly neighbor down the road I have loved flowers. She always use to call me to use my little red wagon to haul compost from the horse barn and in exchange she would give me little plants and seeds to grow. I did very well for a five year old. I don't know why I chose to neglect something that brought me so much joy for 35 years. Now, it's all I think about pretty much day and night. All I have to offer in return is my word and a promise to do the same for someone else once my garden is established. Thank you in advance for any help you can give and I do promise to pass it on.

• earthdragon
    16 years ago

I can't seem to get the site to save my profile update and I get an error when I use the "contact us" link so here is my email address. crazyboutflowers@hotmail.com. Sorry for the multiple post.
    ~Randy

• karinaangel
    16 years ago

Hi All!

I just wanted to let you know that Norma (Bigmama4ever) totally hooked me up! I spent all day yesterday blissfully planting everything she sent and working in my garden. It was heaven! Thank you SOOO much Norma for your generosity! And thank you to Kathy for starting this thread, I really appreciate it, and I wish the best for all gardeners out there Newbies and established ones alike :)

Karen

• nikkicasarez
    16 years ago

HI im NIkki I have four small children ages 1,4,5,8 we love our plants we only have a few.Im a stay at home mom and we live on a tight buget. My husband and I were trying to think of a way for me to make some $ here at home and the kids came up with the idea that I could sell my house plants (I thought are you crazy)then I thought what a great idea we could grow our plants, propagate and sell the babies as my kids call them.The only problem is I only have a few plants, so when I saw this post I thought maybe someone could help buy sending us some cutting of any house plants or vegie or fruit seeds we live in california where I can grow just about anything.Thank you Nikki

• rbrady
    16 years ago

Even though I am a newbie, I would like to help someone. So I was wondering is it OK if I adopt Francisca? I have been blessed with a few extra plants this first year, and I would love to share them. I also would like to help her because I once lived in Chicago (now in Iowa) many years ago and remember what it was like there.

• fancyfrancie
    16 years ago

from fancyfrancie

thank you so much Rbrady that would be great! I sent you an email to your regular email with more info about me.I am so excited thanks to everyone for this great idea!

• bigmama4ever
    16 years ago

nikki z 9 i can do another box, send me an e, im just going to have to ask for the postage up front cause i havenot gotten any back of what i have sent.. and if you can sell them go for it!!!!!

• bigmama4ever
    16 years ago

goozylucy, i have not heard from u and have not rec the postage, i need it for other boxes...karen i rec yours and you are very welcomed..and im working on onother. norma

• goozylucy
    16 years ago

Norma,
    Sent you an email.
    Michelle

• whisst
    16 years ago

hiya guys i was supposed to be adopted by missdaisy, but i cant seem to get a hold of her. what to do? please help me and chloe. thanks whisst

• emmaelice
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Whiist, I do believe that Miss daisy is out of town, I do know that she has taken on quite a few newbies on herself. So you may want to wait and try to contact her next week!

Kathy

• whisst
    16 years ago

Hiya thanks for the info, she didnt email me about that so I dint know! sorry! well heres to emailing her next week lol! whisst

• diene
    16 years ago

Hello;
    I live up north and did see one person from the Northeast looking to be adopted, have you been yet? If not, please contact me as I will be thinning my gardens soon and love to share. diene

• berrytea4me
    16 years ago

Anyone still willing to adopt a zone 5 newbie?

Just signed up a few days ago. This is my first post.

Here's my story. I'm a single mom of 2 hyperactive, possibly autistic spectrum 4yo's. They are so hyper that they can't sleep and wake me 5-6 times per night. They are literally my miracle babies and the joy of my life, however, how I manage to function and keep a job is sometimes beyond me and totally a matter of faith. Their therapies and special therapy equipment are expensive & insurance keeps cutting coverage. I've struggled to find a daycare that will accept them and provide the individualized care that their disabilities require. I've fought the school district to get adequate early intervention services...it's a daily battle. My nearest family member is 1500 miles away so nobody I can count on for regular assistance...even to watch the kids while I go to the grocery store where I can't take the kids anymore because it triggers more hyperactivity.

Gardening is one of my "keep your sanity" tools. In the summer I wake at the crack of dawn before the kids so that I can go out to quietly dig for just a few minutes. In the winter I dream through gardening books while the kids are watching their favorite video for the 1000th time.

I've lived in my present house for 12 years, much of it trying to learn how to adapt my gardening from Western WA climate to Northern CO climate- experimenting to learn what plants survive here and so on. The house was an old farm house with nothing but prairie grass and 4 mature trees. I had to install a sprinkler system if I ever had a chance of buying a plant and it surviving in this dry climate. I had an old well on the property which is OK to use for irrigation.

4 yrs ago I finally had a landscape plan drawn up but when I priced landscape installation (mind you I just needed someone to do the heavy work or "set the bones" of the garden) the cost was astronomical. I'm talking $10k just for soil prep! $40k for the landscape w/o fencing or plants!

So, I hiring a friend to work a few hours/week after his day job. He is trying to support a family of 7 on My next sticker shock...I went to the nursery looking for plants and shrubs....Holy Cow! I'm in the wrong business! Ever since I've been looking for cuttings, seeds, seedlings that have weeded themselves under shrubs, and anyone who needs help dividing perennials.

I have a few things to trade...see my lists. I would joyfully welcome being adopted by a zone 5 gardener with lots of perennials that need thinning.

And thanks emmaelice for being so thoughtful to start this thread!

Blessings,
    Debra

• sunstar07
    16 years ago

I am a newbie. I bought a new home. I am planning to start gardening from this fall. I am also planning to start a memory garden for my mother, a vivid gardener,loved to grow tropical plants who passed away 2 years ago . I would be happy to receive any plants to start with.
    Thanks
    Surya

• winddancing
    16 years ago

I just found this site , where have all ya'll been ?? I've been reading this site for 2 days now. I'm a newbie I don't have many plants the ones I have are houseplants but if I figure out how to start babies from them I'd love to trade or is someone has extra's and don't mind helping a newbie I'd love the chance to learn and enjoy mother natures grace.
    I'm SW of Ft Worth close to Granbury

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

Diene

Not sure if you meant me ? I am in RI...contact me if I was the person you were thinking of...

thanks either way

• retsec
    16 years ago

I could help a newbie with a flat rate box of different things for postage. I am in Zone 8-LA. Email me and I'll let you know what I can send.

• debby_md_z7
    16 years ago

i am a newbie to this site.i think its great that you help others. where do i start.i married young. my husband got murderd in 93.surported 2 sons 16&6 at the time.work hard and got through hard times.2 yrs ago i found out i have breast cancer. and now i am at home don't work much any more.my yard need lots of love these days. i would your help. debby in z7

• zark
    16 years ago

Hi, Im a newbie and dont really have a sad story compared to others. My wife and I just built a house last year, we built it ourself and am ready for the plants and landscaping but I was just laid off, Im in constuction and work is very slow. If anyone could spare some outside plants or bulbs to get us started would be great ! This way we would have some plants and flowers.I was so looking forward to the landscaping but thing will be tight for a while. Once things get better I in return plan on helping others in need Thanks and I will understand if others are in more need, God bless all of you who are helping those in need, Zark, zark@frontiernet.net

• jaleeisa
    16 years ago

Hello, everyone. Not really sure if this is still going on,but I'd like to join in if it is.

My name is Kathy and I am a single mother with five children. My divorce became final about five months ago to a man that seemed normal at first, but then developed a gambling and porn addiction. After he'd financially wiped me out, I ended our relationship and filed for a divorce. He kept threatening me and eventually tried to kill me. He told me in detail how he was going to slit my throat before he stabbed himself in the throat. Seemingly, the police in the town where I lived could do nothing unless they could catch him on the property. After he got out of the hospital, he kept stalking and harassing me. Down to breaking into my house several times, shining floodlights into the windows and so on. It became a situation where my children, not his by the way,could not sleep, could not feel safe. So we moved with a friend of mine 60 miles away. I have no family to help with anything and my first husband - my children's father- pays only what child support is taken from his check, about $150 a week- and doesn't help with anything else. I am wanting to start a garden this year to help feed my family. I also think this might be good therapy for my children. I am mainly interested in vegetables and herbs to feed my children, flowers would be nice, but aren't nearly as much a priority to me. Taking care of my kids is the most important thing. Public assistance isn't much and is still in the process of going through the red tape.

I live in Oklahoma Zone 6b, up above Oklahoma City. We are living in a rental home, so container gardening would probably be best. Anyone with seeds to give or advice about this kind of growing and obtaining containers would be very much appreciated. I don't have any seeds to exchange, but I could manage SASBE, or perhaps I could design some seed envelopes in exchange.

Thank you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting