SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Do you do this to force flower and fruit production? Nurseries do

meyermike_1micha
13 years ago

I was at a local nursery yesterday and I was having a discussion about peat moss and plants bought root bound. Seems like every time I buy a new plant, it has to be transplanted because it is root bound, yet looks healthy and in many flowers..

In short, do you know what the owner told me.?

The reason why many nurseries keep their plants root bound is to force them to flower profusely as they do! It keeps them stressed and this causes them to produce fruit too. He even went as far as to tell me that my citrus won't produce half the amount they could unless they were kept in tight quarters! Same with gardenias, spider plants, desert roses, avocado, jasmines, and yada yada. He said my spiderplant that is just sending out babies in an undersized pot is doing this because it is in survival mode..No survival mode, no babies!

Hers is another.

He also said the reason why SOME people have success with flowering and fruit production is because peat moss gradually compacts putting stress on the roots, which in turn over a period of time, forces their plants to put out more flowers and fruit than those not stressed..

Mine seem to bedding just as good as those put out by nurseries, and they are not kept like this..

What are your ideas? Does anyone here agree with the reasoning and force theirs to flower too? What do you think about this? Many people wonder this.

Thanks

Mike.:-)

Comments (28)