SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fierce_flawless

ground cover.. i don't want to mow the front anymore!

fierce_flawless
16 years ago

I have plans for using ground cover in my front yard, which is tiny. I'm in San Antonio, Texas and noticed recently, while watching a park overhaul, that Asiatic Jasmine was used extensively under trees, and since I have both sun and shade in the front I thought I'd go with that.

I want something that will conserve water and not get very tall. I realize anything will have to be trimmed eventually but the idea is to get away from having to mow every week like most people around here do, or having to worry about grass when we're under water restrictions (which we always are).

So is Jasmine a good choice? I'd hear of clover, but guess what? The "yard" is already clover and grass and bare dirt and where the clover is is already tall and needing to be mowed and last year had to be mowed all the darn time. I don't want that. I am trying to reduce the "must be mowed" areas overall. I have dogs and kids but the backyard is huge and they won't be playing on the front "lawn".

So, if Jasmine is not the answer to my problems I'd love to hear what might be. :) Here's a pic (albeit kinda far away) of the front of the house and the yard. The house faces south.

{{gwi:31278}}

Comment (1)