SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfsuperstar_gw

PLEASE Help Me Redo My 1940's House Landscaping!

sfsuperstar
16 years ago

Hi all, we just bought a house in Pittsburgh that had been 'flipped' - the contractor ripped out all the original landscaping. The new landscaping is so pathetic and doesn't match the neighborhood. I've been trying to come up with a design, but I think I need some input (i.e. "HELP!"). I've posted a link to yahoo photos for some views of the house as well as a graph-paper diagram of the house and my shrub placement ideas. The house faces east, almost exactly.

I'm looking for evergreen shrubs against the house. I know, lots of you don't like foundation plantings, but I want to blend with the neighborhood. I also want them to be flowering -- I'm not into boxwoods or juniper-type-leaves etc. I"m looking mostly at Rhododendron & Azaleas, maybe Laurels too, but we're moving in 2 years and I'd like the plants to have filled in a bit by then. I don't want anything trendy or "modern", I'd love it to blend with the era of the house but still look interesting and well-put-together. Everything you see in the existing pictures I'm ripping out -- nothing is evergreen, so it looks awful in winter, and a few of the plants have almost a tropical look when in bloom.

Here's what I have so far for basic shapes/sizes:

-- Either Side Of Door: 4' wide shrub, about same height, maybe to 5'. There are 4' between door trim and big window pane. 3' from door trim to edge of the house. In front of that and a little bit in toward the door, a 3' shrub, to soften the square corner of the concrete stoop.

-- Under Big Window: Window is 32" from ground, 6' wide inside of shutter. Thinking of 3 identical shrubs, 3-4' high. Husband doesn't like the "flat top" look, so I want something that will mature to no higher than a foot or so above the bottom.

-- Left of Big Window (when facing house): This area is tricky. It's on a major slope (maybe 35 degrees?) and there's about 7 1/2 feet from window pane to window pane between the addition window and the other window. I'm looking for something to counterpoint the shrubs by the door, hoping that together they will fill in the blank brick on either side of the big window and make the house look a bit more cohesive/symmetrical. So I was thinking of trying to fill this area with a 6' shrub or so (the base is about a foot below the other shrubs against the foundation), maybe even a little taller. Something that has foliage to the ground to cover the ugly cinderblock.

-- Far Right of House: I was thinking of putting a larger, vase-shaped deciduous shrub past the line of the edge of the house, to swing the bed a bit wider and make the house look bigger (?). Kind of an outside anchor. I'm at a loss for an idea for this shrub, though, maybe a lilac? The lilac to the right of the door right now is a "Miss Kim", maybe I can transplant it out a bit further.

-- Along the Slope by Retaining Wall: This area is tricky too. It gets full sun, so a pachysandra groundcover won't work (very common in this area, not too invasive). Was thinking myrtle for evergreen? Was also thinking of 3 deutzia nikkos (low and spreading), intermixed with 3 groups of 3 lavendars each. Would like some fall flowering, which is a challenge with all the rhodos and azaleas. It's about 40 feet long about 5-6 feet wide.

-- Area of Dirt to Left of Sidewalk Stairs: No idea. Help appreciated. Too steep to mow grass. Maybe a continuation of sloping bank plan?

-- Lining Either Side of Sidewalk Stairs: No idea. Maybe daylillies? Daffodills? Want something with no bees.

For colors, a lot will be changing with the house. The front door will likely be painted a deep red. The shutters will be black. And the front door trim will be white. Will paint the cinderblock below the addition tan to match the siding. Will probably paint the lattice work under deck (very far left of picture) white, as well as deck railings white (input on this idea would be great, husband thinks I'm crazy to paint a deck rail).

For plant colors, I really don't like the look of local favorite purple rhodos with the brick. So I'm leaning toward more coral-pinks than purple-pinks. Here are my ideas for specific foundation plants:

-- Under Big Window: Coral azaleas, Blaauw's Pink.

-- Either Side of Door: Whitish rhodos to balance out lots of white on other side of house with white lattice & deck rail. In front of that, rhodo Percy Wiseman to pick up the coral tones of azaleas with some red to match door.

-- Left of Big Window: Deeper red rhodo to balance red door and "pop" other flowers. Maybe Nova Zembla? Maybe a lilac or small tree in front of rhodo for variety and to balance tree/shrub at far right of house?

-- On Lattice Under deck (far left facing house): Climbing rose "New Dawn" and "Polish Spirit" clematis. Plant daylilies and daffodills at feet.

-- Far Right of House: Need a shrub idea, maybe the lilac. Circle the base of it with daylilies and daffodills to counter same plantings under lattice at left of house?

-- Daffodills and other spring bulbs in front of foundation plantings. Maybe myrtle groundcover in front of that to unify with sloping bank?

-- Siberian iris "Caeser's Brother" around lamppost.

So I think this will give me lots of blooms in Spring, not much in fall except maybe the daylilies, climbing rose and clematis, and the lavendar. Any ideas for other fall blooming plants and where they could go? I like asters, maybe I could sneak one in somewhere...

I think that's all! Any critique on my graph-paper plan would be great, I'm all ears. Please help, I'm driving my husband crazy with all the late-night research and endless re-doing ;). Thanks so much, you all are such a great help!

Here is a link that might be useful: PICTURES OF HOUSE AND PLAN - HELP!

Comments (9)