SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jdmasek

tomatoes: ceramic vs redwood containers

tuesdayschild
18 years ago

I'm trying tomatoes in containers for the first time in southern california -- we don't have enough dirt (lotsa decking/concrete/etc., no dirt) to plant a real garden so the cukes, tomatoes, etc. are all going in pots.

All the lemon cukes are in little pots (8 gal ceramic) vining up on the deck railing. They're really happy and we're getting 3 a day: perfect.

I have 4 tomatoes (a pink Japanese, 1 Cherokee purple, 1 green zebra, 1 sweet 100) in pots. The green zebra is the only one in a ceramic pot-- the smallest of all the pots, only about 11 gal, glazed inside and out. It is in the least advantageous spot in the yard (less full sun). It is going gang busters and has 30 fruits on it, many blossoms, and we're getting 3 a day from the plant. The others, in better sun and much bigger pots (20 and 25 gal redwood pots) have many fewer fruits, have shown die off, and have only grown 3' tall (as opposed to the 4.5' of the green zebra). The sweet 100 simply curled up and died. All have the same soil -- a lightening layer of styrofoam peanuts 1" thick at the bottom and a nice potting soil mix (hand blended, incl. chicken poop, vermiculite, etc.) with added nutrients in a slow release formula. Drainage is very good in all of these planters. I've even gone out and bought one of those miserable moisture meters to cross check my "finger testing" and they've all got the same moisture readings. I can't figure out why only the zebras are happy campers --not that I have anything against them - I love 'em, but I'd like some nice red ones too!

Is there something in redwood planters that upsets tomatoes? Should I have lined these planters with plastic? I don't understand why the least-advantaged plant is the only one that looks like a real, happy tomato plant (like the ones I've always grown in the ground) and the other ones in the huge high-rent pots are looking so puny and unhappy. They've got about 30% of the fruit and are ripening verrrry slowly. Not one of the redwood pots has yielded a table-ready fruit, though all were planted in April. The Zebras have been producing steadily since the second week in June.

I'm going to start my second round planting next week for the later harvest and would rather avoid the doldrums on this next round if I could.

Any ideas?

Comment (1)