SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
usha_srinivasan_gw

Will this trellis design overwhelm my backyard ?

11 years ago

Hello all,

Please see the pics of my mostly vegetable bed in our backyard. Also included is a trellis design that my engineer husband wants to DIY in copper to contain the plants from spilling into the gravel path. My concern is that the design is too big and industrial looking for our backyard. But other than using those useless tomato cages, I am stumped for a trellising solution that is permanent but aesthetically pleasing to my informal gardening style. Also since the vegatable bed will be bare for a good 7-8 months of the year the trellis will be visible (and prominent ?) for much of the year.

Any advice appreciated (but please be gentle, I dont want to wake any sleeping giants here :)

Some background :

I am a long timer lurker, gardener (of the plant collector kind) in SE Michigan (zone 5-6). I learnt a lot from the oftentimes thought provoking debates that seem to be the norm for this group.

We professionally landscaped our small backyard (90'X30') last year.The main cost of our landscaping went in improving the drainage of our backyard which prior to this used to be a soggy mess until May and then a hard clay block for the rest of summer.The gravel path in the pic was a big part of this cost (it has some drainage feature built underneath, I forget what it is called)

I originally wanted a more utilitarian garden since this spot is primarily for vegetables but my landscaped architect persuaded me to my current plans with more curves for the veggie beds. For the most part, I find it very pleasing.

backyard from side of house

{{gwi:30823}}

backyard from patio door

{{gwi:30824}}

backyard with trellis

{{gwi:30825}}

He will also add copper wires between to add more support to

the vegetable plants. A similar trellis is planned for the other side of the gravel path (have not added straw mulch yet to this bed).

Thanks

Usha

Comments (9)