SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linzelu100

Planting locations- rotation plot or bio-intensive

11 years ago

In the past when I had a garden, I didn't have much space so I had raised beds here and there, crammed with a mix of plants. It always worked out nice. We moved to a new home with a lot of land and are able to grow a lot more (yeah!). I don't know realistically, what would be my best plan for gardening.

A few things, I garden organically, so using chemicals is not an option for pests, therefore, I need to keep insect populations at normal levels. Also, we are gardening about 2,000 square feet this year, but coming years will be expanding with fruit trees, perenials and big plots of corn and such. Maybe an acre or two down the road...although it will take a long time to expand slowly to that size. Lastly, we plant a little bit of everything and a few families we plant a lot of, those being corn, garlic, curcubits, beans, nightshades, lettuce. And..we have dreadful CLAY SOIL.

I have read books on permeaculture, companion planting, farming, square foot gardening. I think it might be better for me to keep all nightshades in one section, corn in another, curcubits in another and rotate them each year, because of the size I will be working with and because I won't use chemicals. But I have also read that intermixing helps with pests. I read on a forum here not to plant nightshades together because they are heavy feeders. I am a bit out of my element here. Both sides have reasonable arguments. Thank you for reading my question.

Comments (11)