SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jf6089

Newbie Questions (Kale, Cucumbers, Corn, Potatoes)

JF6089
11 years ago

I'm new here, and very new to vegetable gardening. Right now I have some bell peppers, basil and fennel growing under a shop light in my basement. I bought quite a few other vegetable seeds, but the people at my local garden shop said only to start the ones I mentioned above. After reading some of the seed packet information, I'm not so sure their advice was correct, which leads to my questions:

Should I start Kale (Red Russian variety) indoors or outdoors at this point? Am I too late to start it? Also, should I start them now?

Similarly, should I start Cucumbers (PEPINO Sweet Burpless Hybrid) indoors or outdoors, and when should I start them?

I also bought Corn (Bodacious). What is the minimum configuration they need to be planted in? For example: 3 by 3, 4 by 4, etc.

Lastly, Potatoes (Yukon Gold). What's the best way to grow them? Raised bed, very large container, ground, etc.

I have more seeds, but all of them, other than the Kale and Cucumbers are Botanical Interest variety. I was told that is a good brand, and simply following the instructions on the packet would be the best thing to do.

Sorry for the long post! Thanks ahead of time! I would so much appreciate any information you can give me.

Comments (7)