SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gumshoegirlgrows

Foundation planting (or, making a garden flow from house to curb)

gumshoegirlgrows
16 years ago

Every time I think I have a solution, something comes up that undoes that solution. I'm looking for some new plantings for the foundation of the house that will flow into the existing perennial garden.

The short story is that the old planting at the front of the house was destroyed during a foundation waterproofing in the fall. The house gets full sun in the morning, shade from late morning to late afternoon, and full sun from about 4pm on. The soil is pretty much clay and has been amended sporadically throughout the front yard.

{{gwi:29705}}

What you will notice is that the soil at the front of the house is about 1-2 feet higher than that at the rest of the garden and around the house. For whatever reason, the contractors installed insulation higher at the front of the house.

I've planted a mock orange (and hope it will grow) just to the left of the stairs. I was thinking about a weigela to the left of the mock orange spaced to extend to the left side of the front of the house (I was thinking a grouping of three but don't have the space for that). But now am unsure about that.

I'm looking for something with winter interest as well because the foundation needs to be obscured.

Any thoughts or design ideas you may lend would be very helpful and muchly appreciated.

Comments (5)