SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahr0ck

cottage garden foundation planting ideas

sarahrock
13 years ago

Hi all. The foundation area around the front of my house has turned into quite a hodgepodge and I could really use some advice on how to make it work!

Currently, the beds between my house and the sidewalk make me really happy -- they are full of perennials and look pretty awesome all summer long. In there I have russian sage, coreopsis, heliopsis, yarrow, woodland phlox, new england aster, echinacea, astilbe, heleborus and probably more things I can't think of off the top of my head.

The two beds by the front of the house, however, are pretty sad. There are 3 different azaleas -- 3 colors, no less -- that are really sad looking, a couple of daylilies (there were tons in that bed originally but last year I started removing them), two nice lavenders (which I really like), two red dogwoods on the corners (which I do like once the snow comes), and tons of bulbs (a nice spring treat, but a bit odd since they are only on one side of the house).

Since the front beds are a wild riot of blooms all summer, I'd love to keep up the cottagey vibe by the house, but I also want to keep a little height to distract from our concrete slab foundation.

I keep reading forums and looking at pictures of cottage gardens, but for some reason I can't make these little beds come together in my mind. Anyone have any suggestions? Here's a picture of how everything was looking at the beginning of March (just about the grossest time of year, but oh well).

{{gwi:24007}}

Comments (22)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler