SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
october_cosmos

Foundation shrubs for a brick home - first time garden planner!

october_cosmos
13 years ago

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions here. My husband and I recently purchased our first home, a brick ranch. The previous owner's gardening tool of choice was a chain saw, and you could tell. The garden was full of twisted and unhealthy azaleas, a near dead wax myrtle, and some really ugly boxwoods. Normally, I like to try and save things, but I ended up only saving some of the azaleas and hope that they are happier in their new home in the back yard.

Now that the front gardens are mostly cleared, I'm at a loss as to what will work best. I love shrubs that have purple, red, and burgundy foliage.. but I feel as though they would be lost up against our red brick. The front yard has full sun to partial shade, and I'd really like some great foundation plants that will accent our home and provide nice curb appeal. Bonus if they are easy to care for.

I'd also like to investigate how to best design the small garden that is framed by our front walkway and the side of the house... should I consider a specimen tree? If so, what? Should I look at some interesting plantings? My only concern for this area is not blocking too much sun into my home.. we already have some big trees around the house.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

Here are some photos of the house. The azalea to the left of the front door is gone, as are the ones to the right on the other side of the garden created between the walk way and the house.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp93/BluePony/DSC_0270.jpg

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp93/BluePony/DSC_0268.jpg

The azaleas around the pine and the elm remain.

The shrub behind the dog and to the right of him also remain, but maybe not for long...

the clump of nonsense far to the right of where the dog is sitting is a rock with plantings around it... those "plantings" will likely be replaced by something else. No idea with what though!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012