SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ctnewbie08

Sigh... yet another problem - powdery mildew... please help!

ctnewbie08
14 years ago

Just when all was going ok, my largest tomato plant is displaying some serious powdery mildew. This is only my second season gardening, so I'm new to this dilemma, but from what I found on the web it's not usually fatal. However, my plant is leading me to think otherwise. Two weeks ago it was a very lush, green 5 foot tall plant and now it's a skeleton with dead brown branches in some areas and gray leaves everywhere else. UGH! The thing is there are at least 20 green tomatoes on the plant and I'm wondering if I can pluck them off and let them ripen on the windowsill? Or is that a huge no-no? I'm pretty sure the entire plant will die within a week or so and at the very least I'm sure it's not going to produce or further ripen anymore tomatoes. I just want to get something out of this gardening thing! It's been quite a battle! It's literally been one thing after another in just this season alone - aphids, fungus flies, caterpillars, slugs, blossom end rot, some other unknown disease that has caused my cucumber plant's leaves to turn almost white... oh and a lot of hungry birds who like to peck away at my seedlings. I've replanted and replanted and replanted and I have to be honest, I'm growing weary (and broke!) from gardening.

Thanks for letting me vent and as always, I sincerely appreciate the help from all you wise gardening folk.

Comments (6)