SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aeleva

Newbie needs some feedback on garden plan

aeleva
13 years ago

I live in the SF Bay Area and this is my first year trying to plan a kitchen garden (instead of just throwing tomato plants in the ground and occasionally watering them). I'd like to solicit feedback and advice on my current setup and how I should proceed from here. I'm interested in trying to make this a four season garden, as the winters here are very mild.

I rent a detached townhouse. Originally my garden plan started out as a container garden only, so I bought a lot of dwarf varietals. But then I started reading these forums, did some trades for a variety of seeds, and got interested in actually planting more stuff in the ground. My yard is 40'x10', and only a small portion of it is plantable. The soil sucks, but I've been trying to work in black compost from the community heap. This past weekend, I also altered the property (without my landlord's knowledge) to include an extended planting area. There are four trellises attached to my neighbor's house but that are "mine" (townhouse rules are weird). Also, because it's a narrow alleyway, I think it only gets about 4 hours of direct sun per day.

I'd like to solicit feedback on:

- Recommendations for spacing and layout on the left (new) side with the seedlings I have ready.

- Recommendations for edible plants that can survive poor soils (and hopefully improve the soil over time)

- How does SFG work when you are growing against a wall? Do I need double the space?

- How do you do your garden planning to plan ahead for when to start seedlings, etc?

- Tips for succession planting considering the long length of the growing season. What should I be thinking about/prepping/starting now so it's ready for later?

Here's my current plan -- the stuff in parentheses hasn't been planted yet. Each square is approximately one square foot. Trellises are built in and indicated by hatching -- I can also build more trellising if it will save space.

{{gwi:36968}}

Comments (5)