SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richard_in_alabama

Ok, so what's REALY wrong with container gardening?

richard_in_alabama
14 years ago

With my 66th birthday rapidly approaching I find myself with less of a desire to spend hour after hour in the hot sun, sweating like a pig and swatting endlessly at the hoards of hungry insects waiting patiently in the garden each morning for a chance to drink my blood. Tilling, raking, hoeing, watering, weeding and fertilizing my summers away just doesnÂt have the appeal it once had. I sure do love having a bounty of fresh vegetables waiting for me each day but there has to be a better way. So for the first time ever this year I decided to go half with containers (30 five gallon buckets) and half with my traditional row garden. With almost 7 weeks of the growing season now under my belt hereÂs what IÂve discovered.

THERE IS A DIFFERENCE and a surprising one at that! Tomatoes, bell pepper and cucumbers are actually doing much better in containers with more than 5 times the fruit set! This is probably due to the fact that I can control the soil composition, moisture and fertilization much more precisely than I ever could in a row garden.

Each morning I fill a watering can a few times with a mix of water and fertilizer, dump a quart or two into each container, prune a bit here and there and in less than 10 minutes IÂm done. Then itÂs off to the row garden where I spend around an hour weeding, pruning, feeding and watering the same amount of crop.

After doing a little research, I discovered that for around $140 I can even set up a drip irrigation system to automatically water and fertilize a full 60+ containers and small 10Â by 15Â squash patch. So what am I missing here? This is just too easy and so far the results seem too good to be true. Even dumping 60 containers into a bin at the end of the season, mixing in some goodies and covering it with a tarp will probably be less work than end of season tilling.

Aside from the fact that a container garden looks more like a junkyard than a few thousand square feet of well manicured garden I feel like a huge and horrible surprise is lurking out there just waiting to bring me to my senses.

So would someone please tell me what's REALY wrong with container gardening?

Comments (9)