SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hrigsby

Methodology of Design: Both Philosophy and Application

hrigsby
12 years ago

I was reading through the debate in bahia's thread from a while back about curved lines, not wiggles, and my mind kept being drawn back to the selection of plant material in the beds that were linked in the first few posts.

Here is the thread for reference: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg121130406163.html

As a sophomore in a LA program, I find my key problem at this point is visualizing the individual beds that I want to create, more of the "gardening" side of the issue, the nitty-gritty, technical application.

I then see beds like the one in the original post and am just mesmerized by their combinations and contrast. But I can't seem to grasp how this comes to be? Is it usually something that evolves, or is it possible to make these connections in the planning stage and implement a garden like this in a season or two?

I guess what draws me in is the compactness and proximity of the plants. The textures and colors seem to play together so much better than the typical landscaped area, where plants are placed as specimens with mulch bridging the gap.

How does a design like this come about? What does it look like? What do you look for when choosing the plant material to achieve this intimate sort of result? Is this something that you see on paper and then implement, or is this something that comes to life in the nursery when you start putting plants together and looking at how they interact? These are some of the questions that run through my head...

The layering just gets so intricate and complex...it's astounding to me. I really could just look at these photos for hours and not get bored with it.

I feel this is an important step for someone entering this field as I am. My designs are maturing, but the details such as this really haven't sunk in...I know what I want to create, but how to do it is eluding me.

Any insight or opinions would be great.

Thanks everyone.

- Riggs

Here is a link that might be useful: bahia's Original Thread: Check Link in First Post

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH