SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Kumquat re-pot a total failure

12 years ago

We repotted the dwarf Nagami Kumquat last weekend into a mix similar (or so I thought) to the 5-1-1 mix. I used Orchid bark (small pieces) because that's what I could find, with 1 part peat and 1 part perlite. The pot has several drainage holes around the bottom which my husband covered with 2 sheets of newspaper to prevent the soil mix from leaking (but to allow water to drain -- or so we thought). We moistened the mix and bare-rooted the kumquat (which was easier than I expected because the old root ball was very dry. :-( Then we watered well, and set the pot in the shade to recover for a week.

Today we tried to move the pot into a sunnier spot. When we tilted it on the dolly, water poured out of the top. The perched water level was at the top!!!!

We dumped out all the stinky smelly mix into a sunny spot to dry out, and put the root ball back into the pot in a little damp mix just for protection until we can repot it.

Should we not have added peat to the (small) orchid bark? I do/did not have time to drive around looking for bark fines, then screen it. I KNOW that's ideal but I have a lot going on including an arm injury (which isn't healing), a full-time job (5am - 5pm), and other obligations. So, I did what I thought came close, figuring if the Kumquat was relatively happy in pure commercial potting mix for the past several years, then it should be even happier in this.

So -- can we reuse the mix but with more perlite or pumice? Should we make a new mix using just the orchid bark and perlite/pumice?

Comments (5)