SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thestar_gw

Gritty Mix and Re-potting Kumquat questions

TheStar
11 years ago

Hello all, I'm New to the forum and I have already found tons of useful information. Which is leading to a lot of questions/confusion. I have read a lot about Tapla's Gritty Mix and I'm about to start moving my container plants into it and I have some questions.
I have a Kumquat tree that has been on a steady decline for the past few months. At this point, it has lost all its leaves. About a month ago, I tried adding fertilizer sticks (no luck) and 2 weeks ago I added grow lights. The light has always been sufficient but I wasn't sure what else to do. It is still not showing any signs of life/improvement.

Now I have come across Tapla's Gritty Mix. This is a new twist to my whole container gardening experience. I'm really excited to start moving all my plants into the Gritty Mix and I have some questions.

1) Is it worth replanting the Kumquat in the Gritty Mix? Is the the Gritty Mix the right Mix or is the 5-1-1 better? It has no leaves at all but I'm not sure how to tell if it is completely dead.

2) I haven't had any luck finding the Pine Bark Fines or the Turface locally. I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, and a local gardening store. I did find the below website that has both the Turface and Pine Bark Fines. Turface Standard Bag $26.00 2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag.

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Turface.html

They also have these Bark Fines, but again I am not sure about the price and if they are the correct size/product.
Small Orchiata Monterey Bark Standard Bag $28.40
2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Monterey-Pine-Bark-Small.html

Combined Shipping is an additional $19.

Basically $74 total. Is the price reasonable for this quantity?

Otherwise, any recommendations on where I can buy the Turface and Pine Bark Fines in the Merrimack Valley area?

3) Lastly, I also have a couple of Snake Plants in 4" containers that I want to move into the Gritty Mix. Is there a rule of thumb for container size I should move into? I was thinking I should at least double it.

Thank you for your help and all the helpful information.Hello all, I'm New to the forum and I have already found tons of useful information. Which is leading to a lot of questions/confusion. I have read a lot about Tapla's Gritty Mix and I'm about to start moving my container plants into it and I have some questions.
I have a Kumquat tree that has been on a steady decline for the past few months. At this point, it has lost all its leaves. About a month ago, I tried adding fertilizer sticks (no luck) and 2 weeks ago I added grow lights. The light has always been sufficient but I wasn't sure what else to do. It is still not showing any signs of life/improvement.

Now I have come across Tapla's Gritty Mix. This is a new twist to my whole container gardening experience. I'm really excited to start moving all my plants into the Gritty Mix and I have some questions.

1) Is it worth replanting the Kumquat in the Gritty Mix? Is the the Gritty Mix the right Mix or is the 5-1-1 better? It has no leaves at all but I'm not sure how to tell if it is completely dead.

2) I haven't had any luck finding the Pine Bark Fines or the Turface locally. I have tried Home Depot, Lowes, and a local gardening store. I did find the below website that has both the Turface and Pine Bark Fines. Turface Standard Bag $26.00 2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag.

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Turface.html

They also have these Bark Fines, but again I am not sure about the price and if they are the correct size/product.
Small Orchiata Monterey Bark Standard Bag $28.40
2.5 gallons (10 quarts) in a resealable bag

http://www.repotme.com/orchid-potting-media/Monterey-Pine-Bark-Small.html

Combined Shipping is an additional $19.

Basically $74 total. Is the price reasonable for this quantity?

Otherwise, any recommendations on where I can buy the Turface and Pine Bark Fines in the Merrimack Valley area?

3) Lastly, I also have a couple of Snake Plants in 4" containers that I want to move into the Gritty Mix. Is there a rule of thumb for container size I should move into? I was thinking I should at least double it.

Thank you for your help and all the useful information.

Comments (77)