SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

How deep to make gravel garden path? Material types...

njbiology
10 years ago

Hi,

I'd like to construct a garden path around my yard. After escavating the 150 long x 1.5 wide path at a yet-to-be determined depth, I will use a epdm 45 mil thick rubber liner; scraps that I have from a large pond I built.. I have enough to cover the base of the entire trail.

I'd like to make the path 4" deep: the 1st inch should be soil/woodchips, the 2nd inch to be crushed stone that will, eventually, be worked into the mulch layer and the top two inches to be 3/8" pea gravel. The reason I use a layer of mulch on the bottom is because, intermittently, I'd like to plant strawberries in specific holes (backfilled with soil) in the path course. Having a layer of mulch will help with keeping some moisture in this network.

1. Should 4" of crushed stone/pea gravel/soil (at base) mix work in keeping out weeds? If this is an inch too much, I'd like to reduce it to: 1" soil, 1" crushed stone, and 1" pea gravel at the top.

2. If I don't go the route of using stone/gravel, and I fill the path course with pine-type mulch, when it all breaks down in a few years, will it remain perpetually too-acidic for weeds to grow, so that only mosses and acid-loving plants will grow (ligonberries, partridgeberry, bear-berry, bunchberry, etc.); it should always be moist, after it breaks down, I'd think.

Thanks,
Steve

Comments (11)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm