SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Pavers with gravel -- how do people make this work long-term?

Our pavers with gravel are sad, sad, sad. They flank the driveway on both sides, and have been in place about 8 or 9 years now. Many weeds are growing in the gravel -- or what used to be gravel but is dirt for some areas! Some of you may have seen photos that I think I posted last year. We're finally ready to tackle this area.

Here's a pic from last year. We have been making a lot of progress in the rest of the yard based on the LD advice, but this eyesore still hasn't been addressed:
{{gwi:26495}}

My goal for the last 5-6 years was to fill the gravel with wooly thyme. The thyme has grown well in a few spots, but very slowly and even the thyme has weeds coming up in spots. In many spots it died.

Looking back, I think pavers with gravel was not a good long-term choice. I had always hoped we would have moved several years ago, but it has never worked out so we're still here, now dealing with fallout from some of the bad landscape choices I made.

I talked with my husband, and he really wants to try to get them back into shape, maybe with new gravel between them. Ideally we'd have concrete poured but that's not in the budget for at least another 5 years. If we put new gravel between them, what would compact the best and minimize weeds?

Comments (6)