SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

What would you do with this area? Input appreciated!

sergeantcuff
16 years ago

This is a bit embarrassing as this is the ugly part of my yard. I know it looks strange but my driveway is in my backyard. Also, please excuse the mess, we are still moving wood around and preparing to patch the grass.

We had two large trees taken down in this area recently: a black walnut I will not miss and a spruce that I miss very much but it was shading the vegetables and my husband takes the tomatoes very seriously.

The back part of my backyard

{{gwi:23632}}

Closer View

{{gwi:23634}}

Side view coming up driveway

{{gwi:23638}}

Question 1: The Azaleas

I THINK ??? I want to keep the azaleas as they look lovely with the tons of bluebells (the bulb kind I can't remember name) that have spread all around. I like azaleas to look broad and spreading but I know these need some pruning. The walnut killed the azaleas on the left but I am moving some from another area.

Question 2: One large shrub and one smallish tree??

I was thinking of a large deciduous holly behing the azaleas on the left - Sparkleberry gets about 10 feet - closest to the giant white pine. (which has endured storm damage and we plan to have it pruned because it is now top heavy but would hate to lose it).

And then a small tree on the right. I have been considering several small trees and am leaning towards a Franklinia BUT would a small tree look odd behind the azaleas? especially a "specimen" like tree?

I already know the answer to Question 3: Yes the rocks are tacky. I don't know if I'd move the arbor because the rose on it is huge, although it doesn't seem so in the picture. The gnome can also be moved, he is only there because he is playing the accordion.

What do you think of these ideas? Any input is appreciated. THANKS

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville