SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy1980_gw

Flagstone Patio Plan

Sammy1980
12 years ago

I'd like to install a flagstone patio in the area shown in the picture below and I was hoping to run my plan by more experienced landscapers to get some feedback please.

Sorry to make another "flagstone patio" thread, I went through most of the ones we had here and I still wasn't 100% sure of what I'm doing.

The patio won't be very heavy traffic; I was going to put my BBQ grill there and a chiminea.

1. I dug that area 5 inches down. My trench dimensions are 16 foot long, 5 foot wide and 5 inches deep. I maintained a slight slope away from the house and tamped that clay soil.

2. I was planning on framing that area using landscaping timbers and then a piece of angle iron on top of the last timber so that the timbers don�t show once the flagstone and sand are down. The right side is already framed by our existing concrete patio.

3. Since the soil in that area is very hard compact red clay, I am hoping to get away from having to use crushed stone for a base. I already have some 57 stone and I was thinking of laying down a 1 inch layer to help with drainage. I will then tamp the 57 stone.

4. Following the 1 inch layer of 57 stone, I was going to add a 3 inch layer of sand; I already have a couple of yards left over from another project.

5. I will tamp the sand and level it with a slight grade away from the house.

6. Since I dug down 5 inches, I should be 1 inch below grade now. The flagstone I am buying is 1 to 1.5 inches thick so I was thinking that would get me level with grade.

7. I will start laying the stones using the more straight ones around the edges and using a level and a rubber mallet to level them with a slight grade away from the house.

8. Once all the stones are down, I was going to sweep more sand between the cracks.

9. Water thoroughly.

1. That area is almost full shade, so I will have to find an appropriate ground cover to plan between cracks.

What do you guys think? Would this work or am I making some some mistakes here?

{{gwi:23161}}

Comments (7)