SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spage1_gw

Help with retaining wall landscaping

spage1
18 years ago

The following is a post I entered on the rose forum. I did this thinking of using some existing climbers I have. I decided to broaden my thoughts and consider plants other than roses. The rose froum post gives a good description of the garden layout. I am basically looking for something to soften a 4 foot high by 50 foot long retaining wall that is just blah. Tearing out is not an option.

I live in Georgia. As far as the New Dawns not thriving Im sure it is because of where they are. They get only dappled sun for about 6 hours a day. One gets more than the other. They are behind a lattice that was put up to hide the opening of our deck. We store the mower and other yard equipment under there. When our neighbors had cookouts that is all they saw. So, we put up the lattice and roses for them more than for us. Unfortunately they moved and we have non-caring garden people now. So, to the pool situation. The retaining wall is about 4 foot high and 50 feet long. On the pool side there is a space of about 4 feet that is pea gravel on top of concrete that butts up to the decking of the pool where chairs sit. I dont think the roses would endanger anyone. Besides, we are mostly adults and those that arent are old enough to know better than to get into a rose bush(teenagers). On the up side of the wall is what I call a semi circle plateau of grass that grows right up to the wall and is about 2-4 inches below the top of the wall. It is in full sun most of the day. At the back and along the sides of the semi circle are my flower beds of various cutting flowers and this is all bordered by lirope. To the left of the flower bed is a natural area that has mostly pinestraw and in the early spring 100's of daffodils. Our property is now bordered by Leyland cypress:(, my husband insisted on these for a privacy screen. Our property is on a slope, on one side neighbors are above us and on the other they are below us.

In the middle of the plateau we are having a center placed, over-flowing, water-pot put in with lights and it will be landscaped around with water plants. I just want something that will drape down over this long blah wall to soften it up a little. I dont mind buying new plants, I was just trying to put what I had that wasnt doing so well in a better place. I love the new Dawns, they were my Mothers favorite. So, I am open to any suggestions, roses or not. I would post pics but have never mastered that.

Comments (4)