SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miss_take

Top Hat Blueberries

miss_take
13 years ago

Hello, everyone! Well, I've stumbled in here with questions about a certain low bush blueberry - Top Hat variety. I purchased a young plant (pictured at the end here) about a month ago off Ebay. When it arrived to me, I was almost horrified - no leaves whatsoever. I transferred it to a slightly larger plastic pot (stimulated the roots a little) and gave it a great sunny spot. For the next four weeks I prayed it would grow, and just this last week the little leaves started to grow fully.

Now that the little bugger is growing, I want to know how to care for it. I've purchased soil sulfur, since I've read blueberries love acidic soil. I'll be testing this and tampering VERY carefully as time goes on, but not until I get this baby more established (unless you think I can transfer it now and start doing so). Ideally, for the time being, I'd like to keep it where it is, considering I don't have the money for one ATM (I'm a college student).

So, I wanted some suggestions on where I should go from here. I have some Miracle Grow organic potting mix, which I used when re-potting the first time around. I can't really afford to get too technical, and I would really love to have a good first crop next year. What should the minimum size of pot should I use? I see so many differences online... and I want to keep it rather small, how do I prune it, exactly? It's grown in an odd direction, I don't suppose there's a long-term way or correcting this?

Here's the image of the plant (next to a pitcher for size reference): http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2130/img00117201005311830.jpg

Comment (1)