SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
inkognito_gw

800 lb. Gorillas, dogs noses and straight lines

inkognito
17 years ago

If you have a small plot behind your house that you do nothing with not even walk out into, nature will design it for you although it wonâÂÂt be pretty. If you go to the library and borrow a pile of landscape design books and flip through magazines at the mall your eyes will be assailed by a plethora of possibilities for improvement and your dreams will be full of ponds, bridges, and rose arbours. There will be immaculate lawns flanked by swaying perennials, with a croquet set and cold lemonade on a gingham covered picnic table in the grass. On another page you envy a natural stone patio with cute little plants growing in the gaps. Now here is the rub, you have to chose because wanting all of it is unbridled lust when this is more likely to be an opportunity for restraint.

What has this to do with dogs? you may well ask. Have you noticed how well those spots suit a Dalmation or how appropriate the flat face looks on a Pekingnese, I love the smooth dark shiny coat of a Dachsund or a Doberman and watching a greyhound run is poetry in motion. Now imagine these attributes were all on the same dog! Mongrel or mut would not even begin to describe it. So you have to decide if you want your garden to be a thoroughbred or mongrel, otherwise it might turn out to be an 800lb gorilla! You need one central idea and build a garden around that and it will give your small plot a purpose and just so that I make myself clear âÂÂclutterâ does not qualify as a central idea.

Comments (13)