SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

potting soil, cheapo stuff or the miracle gro?

jiggreen
18 years ago

DH and i were buying the potting soil to do my containers today and i almost bought the cheapo generic brand potting soil. Hubby looked at me like i was nuts and steered me towards the miracle-gro potting soil which we purchased (at 3x the price of the other stuff!). does it really matter what kind of potting soil you use, as long as you fertilize the containers regularly? or should i believe the hype on the miracle-gro bag?

thanks!

jiggreen

Comments (44)

• kristal
    18 years ago

I would definately not go with the cheapo potting soil, but one with a fair amount of peat moss and vermiculite added to it. It doesn't need to be Miracle Grow, there are other brands that work well and cost less. You can even find soilless mixtures, if you want to spend quite a bit more.

• brighteyes
    18 years ago

I have used the cheap stuff and you have to be careful. The generic brand of MG is fine. I actually had better luck with that then MG this year.

You have to watch out for the real cheap potting soil. It is usually $1-3 a bag and turns to a brick. Dont ask me how I know. lol

Carey

• Related Discussions

container gardening miracle gro moisture potting soil

Q

Comments (6)
    I already have garlic chives (every few weeks a nice bunch) and nicely growing edible Indian Princess Nasturtiums. I expect strawberries (vine), Yellow Bell Peppers, Cherry Tomatoes & Organic Jalapeno's by the end of May/beginning of June. I have a dwarf lime tree on the way sometime this century (Spring Hill...). San Marzano Organic Tomatoes, Early Girl Hybrid Tomatoes, California Wonder Bell Peppers & Serrano Peppers soon to follow in June and July. Then some Texas Sweet Onions. My late crops will be Mucho Nacho Jalapenos, Cayenne Peppers, Orange Bell Peppers, Dill Weed and then finally early next year some more strawberries (bush). I'm so proud & can't wait. Steve's Garden Peace - Steve All of this on an apartment porch...Mostly in MG Moisture Control Pitting Mix.
    ...See More

White stuff inside Miracle Gro?

Q

Comments (2)
    Please take a picture then post it here.
    ...See More

Miracle Gro organic potting soil -- needs fertilizer?

Q

Comments (2)
    Very interesting, I have had problems with Miracle-Gro seedling mix go mouldy-green on me before. I now buy other brands, and don't get the GREEN. I'm not sure of the exact "type" of Miracle-gro product I used at the time, and I can't say the green was detrimental to my seeds....but it kinda grossed me out! good luck and good growing to you
    ...See More

Miracle-Gro soil mix for potted maples?

Q

Comments (35)
    Most plants are not good houseplant candidates, due in part to light levels too low and in primary because of low humidity. JMs are not an exception to that generality. When maples reach a stage of deep dormancy due to shorter days (actually, longer nights are the trigger) and increasing chill, the tree needs a certain number of chill units that only accumulate between 34.5 - 53.8* F to be released from dormancy in a state that allows the plant to grow normally. If the plant's chill requirements weren't met, at least several notable of many potential physiological issues are very likely to be made manifest in the upcoming growth cycle and in many cases, the next. Initiation of growth pretty much trumps the plant's ability to resist cold, so once the tree exits the dormant or quiescent state (quiescence occurs after the plant has had sufficient chilling to release it from dormancy, but temps remain too cold to stimulate top growth) it has to be kept from freezing. In a perfect world, the best spot for your plant would be something equal to a cold hoophouse where temps can be relied upon to stay above freezing and below 50*. Best luck. Al
    ...See More
  • aplantindude
    17 years ago

As with the old addage,you get what you pay for,is true in this case,at least for me ! I've always used M/G potting mix , but had bought some "cheaper" mix too try to save some cash. What I got was stones,twigs,clumps that where rock hard. It was just bascailly a mess to use ! It just pays to use quailty mixes or mix your own I've seen several mix recipes on the forum that can get you started. ....mike

• nomadic
    17 years ago

Has anyone had problems with gnats with MG?

• sedum37
    17 years ago

I think it is worth paying for good, well draining soil for containers. I recently bought a 3.8 bale of compressed ProMix soil and which is equivalent to 7 cu feet for $30. The ProMix was nice soil with no surprises. ProMix comes without added fertilizers or water retentative crystals which is what I wanted so I can tailor it to what I am planting.

• vinelover
    17 years ago

Amend Patio Plus is great for potted plants. Its all natural and has compost, manure, bat guano, worm casings already in it. Its great. My container plants love it.

• username_5
    17 years ago

- Has anyone had problems with gnats with MG? -

There is nothing about the MG brand that attracts knats. Knats are attracted to moist conditions and decaying organic material. Pretty much any potting mix you buy has peat or bark in it and these are organic materials that decompose. Add frequent watering to the mix and you have gnat trouble waiting to happen.

The solution is allow mixes to dry to a depth a a couple inches between waterings. For out of control infestations use an insecticidal soap in the next watering and pour over plant and soil.

• lowspark
    17 years ago

I got this advice from an exterminator regarding gnats in the soil and it works. He said to put a thin layer of sand over the soil in the pots. I use Play Sand - the stuff they sell for kids' sand boxes. You can get a large bag for a few bucks at HD or Lowes. I just pour enough to cover all the soil. When I first did this, I had a ton of gnats. It took about a week or so and they were all dead. After that, no problems.

The only catch is that if you water from the top, over time, the sand will get hard. But you can easily take out the old sand and pour in new if that bothers you, or repot at that point if it's time.

• eldo1960
    17 years ago

A practical and effective potting mixture can be made by mixing a high quality potting soil such as Baacto or Miracle grow with an equal amount of the inexpensive store brands. Just make sure the inexpensive stuff has a lot of ground bark or other organic matter to encourage drainage, and NO SAND.

• andy_e
    17 years ago

I have experimented with a lot of different commercial potting mixes over the years. Based on my experience I would say that if you're going to be doing a lot of container gardening it's worth your time to find a cheaper mix than MG. You will have to try a bunch of different ones until you find what you like. There are definitely off-brand mixes that match the quality of the major labels, but it's hard to recommend a specific brand as they're probably all sourced from local suppliers. However, to give you a sense of what you can get for the money, I buy the house-branded potting soil from Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) in 2 cu. ft. bags for about $5.

• mmqchdygg
    17 years ago

lowspark- thanks for the tip on the gnats. I have indoor succulents that succummed to them this winter. They were all over it always.

Does it work on ants? I have an impatien in a cement urn that has ants, but they don't seem to be bothering the plant; they just live there.

• Westview
    17 years ago

I have about 200 pots of all sizes with various stuff in 'em. I buy my potting soil at Wal Mart and get Perfect Gardiner soil. It is in a yellow and orange bag. The secret, the manager of the garden center tells me is that it is bagged for walmart by guess who, Miracle Grow! I have had really excellent luck with it and recommend it for things that don't need Al's special Mixture like annuals and small perennials. I have even mixed it with landscaper mix which is essentially pine bark fines for a quick and dirty easy draining mix and my roses are thriving in it. It is MUCH cheaper or I could never afford it. (I usually stick a bag in with my groceries once a week and thus--hide the cost--LOL)
    I know--I hate to support Wal-Mart but it is good potting soil and I can afford it.
    Betsy

• username_5
    17 years ago

Oddly enough I have used Miracle Grow potting mix (it isn't potting soil which is entirely unsuitable for containers) as well as the Perfect Gardener potting mix (from Wally World).

I often use Miracle Grow mix as a baseline for the minimum acceptable potting mix for my containers. If plants don't perform at least as well I don't use it again.

I have found the PG mix much better than the MG mix for a wide variety of plants. It is very interesting to me that they are both made from the same company.

Not that surprising though.

I recently bought a new oven/stovetop from Sears. I bought the Kenmore brand (Sears brand). It is made by Whirlpool.

I looked at 3 different stores and the Whirlpool gold (top of the line) was more money and lacked the features of the Kenmore.

Same company, but they produced better quality for less money than their own brand.

Go figure.

• madmouser
    17 years ago

I used Miracle Grow for a couple of years but wasn't happy with it. I didn't feel the plants were doing as well as they should.
    I switched last year to Moisture Max by Sta-Green. I get it at Lowes. I've been very happy with it. It does cut down on frequency of watering, particularly in the big barrels and pots. My ferns and elephant ears are thriving. I fertilize with Osmocote time-release.
    I live in a "garden condo" and stuff has to get carried down a flight of stairs to get to my garden. I really appreciate the fact that Lowes will deliver. Not cheap, but less than the chiropractor bill if I tried to do it myself.

• LMoon310
    12 years ago

I also use the Sta-Green Moisture Max Potting mix, and I love it. This is my first year gardening, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

• bruvall
    8 years ago

Orchard Supply brand potting soil has something in it that attracts birds who aggressively tear up and scatter the soil. I re-planted with MiracleGrow and the birds left my plants alone.

• Joe1980
    8 years ago

I used to use MG soil years ago for my indoor stuff, and it indeed contains fungus gnat eggs. A couple days after wetting brand new mix, there would be gnats in it. I have to believe then that the eggs are in the mix. I now use gritty mix for all my plants, with the exception of the short season annuals my wife plants outside. She gets MG soil for that, but fungus gnats are fine out there.

Joe

• no_ura
    8 years ago

I had very bad expierience wit MG COMPOST SOIL develope gnats. I dont trust this brand any more.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    8 years ago

These are typical responses when the discussion turns to commercially prepared media based on high % of fine textured ingredients like peat, coir, compost, composted forest products, sand .......

Al

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

MG Compost Soil was not meant for potting. It is for the garden. Fungus gnats are caused by overwatering, mix staying wet too long.

Add some perlite and bark to Miracle Gro Potting Mix, helps it to drain well and give the plant good light, you should be fine. Just don't overwater. Water when the mix feels dry, not before.

Jane

8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Even back in 2006, the devil was in the details. It's important that growers understand that adding an unclear amount of bark and perlite to MG potting soil yields very little improvement, if any, in the area of drainage and/or aeration until/unless the % of coarse ingredients is extremely large. As long as there is enough fine material (like bark fines, peat, coir, compost, and smaller perlite particles to fill all the (what could be) spaces between the larger particles, improvement in drainage, aeration, and the ht of the perched water column remain relatively unchanged.

When thinking in terms of what the plant would like best, something along the lines of 80% pine bark in dust to 3/8" with most of the bark concentrated in the 1/8-1/4" size range and maybe 10% peat + 10-15% perlite offers much greater opportunity for superior root health. It's also a lighter soil, both when dry and when at container capacity (saturated) because of it's greater o/a porosity and air porosity at container capacity.

Al

• halocline
    8 years ago

Ahhh, I knew you would contribute Al.

IMO, MG is the top of the heap when it comes to bad potting soils. About 10 years ago they changed their recipe from something like soil, to: forest mulch, chunks of wood, and a wetting agent. seriously, look at the ingredients, 3 things. I will admit, I sometimes use it for large annual plantings. IF, I am going to buy "potting soil", I get "Fox Farm Ocean Forest Potting Soil",or, "Black Gold Cactus Mix Potting soil" for cuttings.

Since finding "tapla" however, I build 80% of my soil mixes, because it's not all about the ingredients, it's about the concept behind the ingredients.

What ever you choose-Good Luck!!:-)

Rob

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

There are many commercial potting mixes. If you mix in 1/3 perlite, 1/3 bark and 1/3 potting mix (whichever brand), your plants will do well. Of course, this depends on your watering style and light exposure. The pots must drain well (have drainage holes) and whatever plant you are growing gets the maximum amount of light it can handle. You should not use potting mix alone unless its for a short, temporary period.

Jane

• halocline
    8 years ago

What's the point of the bark and perlite? If 30% of the mix is fine particles, that's probably enough to fill the air spaces between the larger bark and perlite, if you want these to be effective; the larger material need's to be at least 80% of the finished product.

I can't find it right now but; if you can, look for "tapla's" reference to pudding and BB's. This explains the dilemma.

Rob

• jane__ny
    8 years ago

That is not the case. The potting mix is to hold some moisture. The bark and perlite provide air space and hold a bit of moisture. It keeps the mix from clumping and cutting off air to the roots. It works very well.

"the larger material need's to be at least 80% of the finished product."

No it doesn't. What I recommend works perfectly well and drains well. I am well aware of Tapla's instructions. We differ.

Jane

• halocline
    8 years ago

Ok, best of luck to you.

Rob

8 years ago

FWIW - the bark and perlite can't provide significant air space in a medium when there are more than enough small particles to fill in between the large particles. Start with a gallon of MG potting soil and start adding bark and perlite by the cup to the mix. At what point do you start to see an increase in aeration? When you've added so much bark and perlite that the fine MG can no longer fill all the large pores between large particles. It's so simple it can be seen in the mind's eye with ease.

Nothing works perfectly well. We labor toward making things work well enough to suit our individual standards, and some standards are higher than others. If we give people the direction they need to attain the highest standards, they have what they need to be very successful and still have the option of settling for any stopping point along the journey. If growers are left to believe that mediocre root health can somehow yield a perfectly healthy or productive plant, I think we've done a disservice. Show a person how to be as successful as possible, then let them decide how successful they want to be.

Al

• halocline
    8 years ago

Precisely!

Rob

8 years ago

Mmmmmm - those look good!

Al

• laticauda
    8 years ago

I like Poha Berries, the sweet of strawberry without the tart!

Don't forget that peat from peat bogs is a NON-renewable resource. So we don't want to use anymore of that than we have to.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

"Don't forget that peat from peat bogs is a NON-renewable resource"

This may be true of Europe and UK but not so much here. Harvestable peat bogs in North America represent only a tiny fraction of the existing peat reserves and are actually farmed, just like any other crop. And the amount of peat harvested from these bogs each year is 60 times less than the annual accumulation of new peat moss. The farmed bogs may not be overly fast to renew - 15-20 years - but they are most certainly NOT non-renewable. In fact, the Canadian peat industry is the global poster child for sustainable peat management.

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Go Canada.

• halocline
    8 years ago

What about Russia?

Rob

8 years ago

Can you IMAGINE how much peat there must be in Russia?

I don't buy into the "don't use peat - save the planet" mantra either.

Al

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Russia's peat bogs are protected by the aliens, don't you guys know anything. *rolls eyes*

or at least that's what I hear! Haha

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

There is a LOT of peat in this world:-) Chances of us running out globally are slim to none. Russia's peat reserves are substantial - almost 600,000 km2 (including the Ukraine and Belarus). But that's not even close to Canada's peat reserves at 1.1 million km2.

8 years ago

The peat question comes up so often I saved a reply I wrote on the subject several years back:

Peat - Renewable or Not? - Does it Matter?

Chicken Little would be
    aghast at your inference!! In my estimation, it doesn't matter much if it's
    renewable or not, and I refuse to be made to feel guilty about using any form
    of peat.

Here is a reply I often leave
    when the non-renewable thing comes up:

"Sorry, but I'm not buying
    the non-renewable lament. In Canada alone, there are more than 270 million
    acres of harvestable peat bogs. If we make the conservative guess that the
    harvestable portions of these bogs are 10 feet deep, that means there are
    probably more than 900 billion cu. ft. available for harvest, just in Canada!
    That doesn't even take into consideration what's available in Europe, Asia, Russia, or
    places like New Zealand where they also mine peat. Canada currently has
    mining/harvesting operations underway on approximately 40 thousand acres or
    about .014% (that reads 14 one thousandths of 1 percent) of it's minable peat. How much is in places too remote or too small to be considered not minable?

The math is accurate and conservative. It's more likely that the next ice age will be upon
    us and glaciers will have covered what's available before we even use a noticeable
    percentage.

Renewable/non-renewable =
    moot.

Al

• halocline
    8 years ago

Siberia.

Rob

• halocline
    8 years ago

At the nursery on Friday, a woman told me, peat can lower your pH.

I'm wondering about my dwarf Gardenia.

Rob

• laticauda
    8 years ago

Peat is incredibly acidic. And my hard water is incredibly alkaline.

you can also use vinegar or coffee grounds for pH alterations.

8 years ago

Not all is as you might imagine it to be. I save a lot of the stuff I write as a document when the question comes up over & over. Coffee & tea as plant 'tonics' is a frequent topic. Here's what I discovered:

Forum discussions frequently center on the question of adding dilute coffee/tea or grounds to plants as a 'tonic', but Arabica (coffee) and Camellia (tea) are known for their toxic alkaloid (caffeine) content and their allelopathic affect on plants as well as autotoxic (poison to their own seedlings) effects on future generations. Caffeine interferes with root development by impairing protein metabolism. This affects activity of an important bio-compound (PPO) and lignification (the process of becoming woody), crucial steps for root formation.

We also know that the tannins in both coffee and tea are known allelopaths (growth inhibitors). There are ongoing experiments to develop herbicides using extracts from both coffee and tea that cause me to want to say they might serve better as a nonselective herbicide than as a tonic. I would not use either (stale coffee or tea) by applying directly to my plants - especially containerized plants; nor would I add tea bags/coffee grounds to my container soils.

Rob - you can use white vinegar or citric acid (and other acids, but stick with the safer stuff) to lower the pH of your irrigation water (for the acid lovers) to about 5.5. Note how much acid is required per unit (like a gallon or 5 gallon unit) and repeat as needed. Note that pH of freshly drawn water rises as the dissolved CO2 gases off over a 24 hr period, so let the water you'll use rest for a day before adding the acid (first time only) for an accurate read. You'll need some pH paper - like what is used for ponds or aquariums.

Al

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Used coffee grounds are not particularly acidic. In fact, they are pretty close to a neutral pH - somewhere in the 6.5-6.9 range. They really have no impact on soil pH. UCG's are best as an addition to a compost pile as they are a good "green" nitrogen source with a C/N ration of about 20:1. They really have no place in container gardening.

• halocline
    8 years ago

Thanks Al, I've got the pH paper. I soaked some GM, and it came in at about 5. My tap is about 7, haven't done the 1/4 strength FP yet.

And thanks guys, but I don't drink coffee. (coffee ice cream? Now that's a different matter. Don't think it would help my plants though.) lol

Rob