SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ktravers_gw

Working with a LA- how does it all work?

ktravers
17 years ago

Hi all-

I've been lurking quite some time in here, but it's time to come on out. My husband, son and I are moving into a new home from our current condo, and we're going to need some serious landscaping work. (We made the offer on the home knowing this full well, and attempting to keep some money in savings to address at least the most urgent issues.)

I'm going to post another thread asking for thoughts and ideas about design possibilities, but I'd like to get your thoughts about what we might expect from working with an LA.

I believe we'll want to go with a design/build firm, to minimize any problems that may arise from any disconnect between the design and installation. We'll be wanting some obvious initial issues addressed (e.g. grading), within the context of a master plan that will allow us to install components as time and budget allow.

So, as I see it, we pay a chunk of money to a firm of our choice to get a master plan. What does that plan entail, exactly? Who "owns" any plan of specs to be used by the installers?

While I like the idea of going with a design/build firm, I also know that circumstances may change over time- those of any professional outfit or those of our family. Thinking ahead, I guess I would want to know exactly how "locked-in" we would be to the installation services of the chosen firm. What would happen, for example, if the firm gets some big cash-cow project one year, and doesn't have the additional resources to commit to our installation?

Forgive me if this is an obvious question! We'll be talking to several firms about the project, and I'm sure all will become clear at that point. But, there are obviously some great resources on this board to help out before then!

Thanks,

Karin

Comments (6)