SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul2010_gw

Soil Moisture Levels of Earthtainers

paul2010
13 years ago

I have 6 earthtainers, the 1st one (call it Box #1) was built to 1.9 version standards and has MG potting mix without moisture control in wicking basket and growing medium when I measure the moisture level using Mosser Lee Soil Master Meter (saw it in 1 of Raybo's pics so I got the same one) it measures 6.5, 9.5 & pegs the needle on the scale at a soil depth of 1", 4.5" & 8" soil depth. I planted this box on May 1st and these plants are the largest and look the best to me (I am no expert, just a newbe) I have 3 built and planted on May 15th (call them Box#2, #3 & #4) to 2.0 version standards but with MG potting mix without moisture control in the wicking baskets but Raybo's mix of 3-2-1 (Sta-Green Potting Mix - Pine Bark Fines - Perlite) as the growing Medium. the readings are: Box #2= 2.5, 5.5, 7.5 @ a soil depth of 1", 4.5" & 8" respectively. Box #3= 3.0, 6.5 & 9.0 and Box #4= 2.5, 7 & 9.0. The 5th Box is built to 2.0 version specs but has Raybo's mix in wicking basket and growing chamber. It measures 3.5, 7.5 & 9.0 @ 1", 4.5" & 8" respectively.

The 6th Box is a pepper box built to 2.0 specs but has Raybo's suggested pepper mix of 3-3-2 (Sta-Green Potting Mix - Pine Bark Fines - Perlite) for wicking basket and growing medium and measures 3.0, 5.0 & 7.0 @ 1", 4.5" & 8" respectivly. These were planted May 22nd. Boxes 2-6 are not setting the world on fire, in terms of growing, although it is early and this week we finaly had some better weather. I have a Mortgae lifter in Box #3 that the leaves are turning yellow and I thought was getting too much water as per posts I read. I am courious if these moisture levels are similar to others especally Raybo since he has the same meter and has been experimenting.

Comments (11)