SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Determining soil moisture at the local level

This is going to seem like a really strange question on the surface.

Plant encyclopedias list the moisture conditions under which an individual plant will thrive--dry, moist, wet.

What someone west of the Mississippi thinks of as dry is not necessarily what I, a Mid-Atlantican am familiar with. Wet, I can figure. Moist--not the same as the WA/OR coast or the gulf states with high rainfall.

How would you describe the clayish soils of Maryland?

I am being ceded some sloping land (about 1/3 acre), formerly a grassy hillside. It's raw subsoil clay minus topsoil right now. Part of it is probably less than a 30 degree slope, the rest is about 45 degrees that drops away about 40 feet before leveling out (like being on a mesa, kindasorta). I've got to landscape this situation with a variety of woody plants and perennials/grasses to prevent erosion and to beautify it.

If I look under dry soils in full sun (thinking the slope will affect moisture), I don't have a lot of options, but then I wonder--would what I have really be considered a "dry" soil? What about when amended? What is a *moist* soil environment in full sun, technically?

I need some insight...

Comments (6)